What's new

How to set a ringtone for Iphone4?

You don't have to pay 99 cents for ringtones! You can make your own for free by using iTunes.

There are a few steps to accomplish this. It is tedious so be sure to follow each step for the best outcome. These steps unfortunately cannot be used with a song you purchased from iTunes, use any other MP3 file.

On your computer Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View and make sure to Uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Type" and select "Ok"

Open iTunes > On iTunes select "Edit" > Preferences > Advanced > Check the box that says "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder..." >then click "Ok"

Pick the song you want to make a ringtone.

Right click on the song > select "Get Info" > Options> Check the boxes that say "Start Time" and "Stop Time" > In the adjacent box select the time you want your ringtone to start and the time you want it to stop. Example: Start Time 1:30 Stop Time 1:45
(Your ringtone cannot be longer than 30 seconds or it won't work)

Click OK.

Play it to make sure the timing is correct.

Right click on the song and select "Convert to ACC" or "Create ACC Version" (it will make a copy)

Drag the copy to your desktop. Right click on the icon and rename ".M4A to .M4R" By changing it to .M4R, it makes it a ringtone.

Delete the copy in iTunes (the one that is 30 seconds or less).

Go to the icon on your desktop, double click it and it will automatically play in iTunes under "Ringtones"

Hook up your iPhone, Sync and there you go, your own personal ringtone.

P.S. Make sure to go back to the original song in you Library and right click> Get Info> Options> and uncheck the Start Time and Stop Time boxes. That way your whole song will play. It will not mess up the Ringtone you made.

You don't have to pay 99 cents for ringtones! You can make your own for free by using iTunes.

There are a few steps to accomplish this. It is tedious so be sure to follow each step for the best outcome. These steps unfortunately cannot be used with a song you purchased from iTunes, use any other MP3 file.

On your computer Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View and make sure to Uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Type" and select "Ok"

Open iTunes > On iTunes select "Edit" > Preferences > Advanced > Check the box that says "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder..." >then click "Ok"

Pick the song you want to make a ringtone.

Right click on the song > select "Get Info" > Options> Check the boxes that say "Start Time" and "Stop Time" > In the adjacent box select the time you want your ringtone to start and the time you want it to stop. Example: Start Time 1:30 Stop Time 1:45
(Your ringtone cannot be longer than 30 seconds or it won't work)

Click OK.

Play it to make sure the timing is correct.

Right click on the song and select "Convert to ACC" or "Create ACC Version" (it will make a copy)

Drag the copy to your desktop. Right click on the icon and rename ".M4A to .M4R" By changing it to .M4R, it makes it a ringtone.

Delete the copy in iTunes (the one that is 30 seconds or less).

Go to the icon on your desktop, double click it and it will automatically play in iTunes under "Ringtones"

Hook up your iPhone, Sync and there you go, your own personal ringtone.

P.S. Make sure to go back to the original song in you Library and right click> Get Info> Options> and uncheck the Start Time and Stop Time boxes. That way your whole song will play. It will not mess up the Ringtone you made.

yeal you are right, but your method can not make iphone ringtone longer than 30 seconds, while happylily'method can make iphone ringtone longer than 30 seconds

well if oyu upload it via ssh it can be as long as you want.. using that same itunes method

I've been trying to download the Motorola Classic ringtone...it's always been my favorite. But it's a very short clip...only 1.5 seconds. The problem I'm having is that every program I've tried sets the tone too close together so it's almost a constant ring. Is there a way to set a lag between rings?

Also, I swear I am not a complete computer idiot! But when I try the method to rename the tune from a .M4A to a .M4R, all it does is rename the song, not the file. What the heck am I doing wrong there? I have followed the steps to the letter and all goes well until I try to rename the file.

I've been trying to download the Motorola Classic ringtone...it's always been my favorite. But it's a very short clip...only 1.5 seconds. The problem I'm having is that every program I've tried sets the tone too close together so it's almost a constant ring. Is there a way to set a lag between rings?

Also, I swear I am not a complete computer idiot! But when I try the method to rename the tune from a .M4A to a .M4R, all it does is rename the song, not the file. What the heck am I doing wrong there? I have followed the steps to the letter and all goes well until I try to rename the file.
enable your computer to see the extension of the files on your computer. Place your ringtone on your desktop and then if you have extension enable, change the ringtones extension to .m4r, not to .M4R hit enter key to validate the change.

Awesome! Thanks, that worked. Any advice for lengthening the interval inbetween the ring? :)

Awesome! Thanks, that worked. Any advice for lengthening the interval inbetween the ring? :)

Well let it be 30s, if more than that, I believe that iTunes will not allow you to load it into the device, specially if it's one that you didn't purchase in iTunes or didn't make using a paid app like ringtones maker which offer ringtones up to 40s
So to avoid all weird situation just set it to be 30s long.

well if you upload it via ssh it can be as long as you want.. using that same itunes method

looking forward to detailed info

YOu have to be jailbroken and download an app called openSSH via cydia, then use a ftp app like flashFXP or filezilla to connect to your phone and navigate to the ringtone folder and you can add all the tones you want and delete the ones from apple or add your own sms tones

Well let it be 30s, if more than that, I believe that iTunes will not allow you to load it into the device, specially if it's one that you didn't purchase in iTunes or didn't make using a paid app like ringtones maker which offer ringtones up to 40s
So to avoid all weird situation just set it to be 30s long.

Well, that didn't work. Bigasoft would only let me add a few hundredths of a second to the track. But, it did not change the interval between rings at all. Still almost one continuous ring...only a tenth of a second or two between rings.

When I tried it in iTunes and changed the time setting in the "get info" and then "options", it will not save the change when I make the copy.

I did not have this issue when I converted the file for my Krzr years ago. It must have something to do with the way iPhone software plays ringtones.

Well, gotitdone! I found a longer file (actually had it on my 'puter, but forgot about it). That worked.

is there free way to make iphone ringtone longer than 30 seconds?