What's new

How to backup Iphone4 Contacts/Text Messages/photos and videos onto my PC with Itunes

Sahin

Reaction score
OK, I live in the UK and so I called my mobile operator (O2) because of the voicemail issue (see thread here: http://www.iphone4forum.net/forum/iphone-4-help-15/setting-up-voicemail-1890/#post17737). They said that I have to reset my Iphone and that this will resolve the issue.

Before I do that I need to make sure that the following is saved as a backup:

1. Contacts

2. Text Messages received and sent - some are very important messages from clients as well as family etc

3. Photos and Videos

4. 18 gigs of apps and mp3 songs/lectures etc etc - not too bothered about these as I already have them on my laptop, but would save time and effort if they were restored automatically by Itunes.

Can someone please confirm how I go about backing all the above so that after I do a complete reset of the Iphone 4 everything will come back (number 2+3 are extremely important data).

Please advise ONLY if you actually know and have tried this yourself. Dont offer advise based on something you have simply read - I dont mean offence here, just that it is of utmost importance that I do not lose the data. Many thanks.

Just need to open iTunes and make sure all your contacts and pictures are saved to the pc before you restore.

Just need to open iTunes and make sure all your contacts and pictures are saved to the pc before you restore.

Sorry to be so dumb, but I am compltely new to Itunes and Iphones...but is there anything special I need to do in Itunes to ensure the contacts and pcitures are saved or does the action of syncing create automatic backup of the contacts and pictures and messages.

Thanks for your kind assistance, you are most helpful on this forum.

You need to go to each tab and select what you want backed up. If you use outlook make sure it's selected then go check it has all your contacts before you restore. If you would like a separate copy of your photos just go to my computer your phone will show up as a drive and copy and paste your photos to a folder.

If you would like a separate copy of your photos just go to my computer your phone will show up as a drive and copy and paste your photos to a folder.

Is this correct, DannyBoy? I've never been able to find my iPhone in Windows Explorer on multiple Windows systems. Is there a trick to this?

If you would like a separate copy of your photos just go to my computer your phone will show up as a drive and copy and paste your photos to a folder.

Is this correct, DannyBoy? I've never been able to find my iPhone in Windows Explorer on multiple Windows systems. Is there a trick to this?

Yes it's correct, if your phone doesn't show up in "My Computer" folder in your computer, simply unplug and plug it in again.

It's always worked that way for me. In Windows 7 my phone shows up under "Computer" as the name that I gave it (my business' name). It shows up as a drive, used and free space shown. There are then several layers of folders to get to the pictures, which can be copied and pasted anywhere of choice. However, this pictures folder is the only thing you can access like this.

iPhone shows up for me on Windows XP, both home system and office system. It appears in the "Scanners and Cameras" section of the My Computer display, named simply "iPhone." When I open the iPhone icon I see all the pictures in my Camera Roll with names like "IMG_0007.jpg".

These files can be copied using ordinary Windows drag-and-drop.

Thanks to all of you here on page 2. I've never followed up on using Windows as a way into the iPhone without iTunes, and will definitely go for it ASAP! Thanks again.

How to backup Iphone4 Contacts/Text Messages/photos and videos onto my PC with Itunes

After connecting your phone to iTunes, it will show up in the left panel in iTunes, right click on the iPhone icon and in the drop list select back up.
Do the same by selecting restore back up from that drop list.

You need to go to each tab and select what you want backed up. If you use outlook make sure it's selected then go check it has all your contacts before you restore. If you would like a separate copy of your photos just go to my computer your phone will show up as a drive and copy and paste your photos to a folder.

Quick and to the point. Nice DannyBoy!

Danny, Like Sahin, I am a new user to iPhone 4- we have two (GF and I) and need to do a total Back up then restore- we are trying to get ALL the contacts, She has 165 but only 133 come across on Restore. New updates / current versions on both iP3 and iP4 before back up and restore,and I made sure 'Restore from' [Date] was the last date back up performed. The photos all showed up. I Restored per on Screen Menu but after final re-boot, the contacts still show 133 not 165. For her, 32 manual entries will b

Thanks in advance,
SuperK