What's new

How to text large/long videos?

Paleface

Reaction score
im new to iPhones in general, like less than a few weeks... So im trying to figure out how it all works.

So as I understand, I can text large videos to other iPhone users if it is sent using iMessage? I ran into some text issues with my phone because it thinks some of my contacts still own an iPhone, so it would send texts messages to those contacts via iMessage... Those texts would never arrive to the person. I read up on why that happens to some people. Long story shot on that subject, I turned iMessage off due to that, and also due to the fact most of my contacts do not own a iPhone, and I do not own a Mac, iPad, or iPod... So I have no real need for it %98 of the time.

Back to the real question at hand. I want to be able to text long videos to people. Not whole movies or anything, but like 2-5 minutes, maybe even 10 minutes in some instances. I made one that was 1:30 long and it wouldn't even text that. I guess 30 seconds or less is the max (non iMessage) length of a video I can text from what I gather?

Now, I thought the iCloud was a place I could upload videos and whatever else I wanted, then create links to various items I had stored in my iCloud and text or email those links to people and once they click on the link the media would play. But from what I'm finding out it the iCloud is just some kinda backup of my phones data and info in case I lose or break my phone I can recover it? Maybe I'm wrong there.

So the million dollar question is, what's the best way to text someone a larger than 30 second video?

iCloud is meant to store backups of your devices, and it can also be used to sync contacts, messages, calendar entries, Safari bookmarks/reading lists, ...

To send videos, try using an app. When I intend to send a picture/video, I use WhatsApp, e.g.

Does the person I'm texting a video too need to also have WhatsApp installed to view the video?

I'm kinda looking for a way that doesn't involve the recipient of the video needing to have an iPhone or need to install any extra apps. I guess Dropbox or something similar is my only hope. What do all the iPhone people use for cloud storage that can create links to video and other media?