What's new

How do I get the iphone to recognize that it has more storage available.?

gigman7

Reaction score
I tried to take a picture earlier today and the phone told me I was too low on memory to take a picture. I deleted several pictures, a couple of videos and even some apps that I don't use. After all of this, it still told me that I didn't have enough storage to take a picture. This happened to me once before and it took a few hours before I could take a picture again. This time it has been several hours and I am still unable to take any pictures. I have even rebooted the phone a few times and it still thinks it's maxed out.

Does Apple intentionally make things difficult or are they not smart enough to make things better?

Does Apple intentionally make things difficult or are they not smart enough to make things better?
My point being, I can't just tell the kids to wait right there while I run home and "restore" my phone. I'll be back in two hours. Don't move because I want to get you in front of the sunset there.

It's been over 24 hours and it still hasn't recognized the extra storage. What gives?

Have you restored the iPhone as recommended? Also, it's never a good idea to completely fill the storage on an iPhone or any other device all the way. It causes problems, as you have discovered. After restoring your iPhone, you should clear out several gigabytes of storage and keep it free. Anything you delete, such as photos, can be stored on your computer.

Have you restored the iPhone as recommended? Also, it's never a good idea to completely fill the storage on an iPhone or any other device all the way. It causes problems, as you have discovered. After restoring your iPhone, you should clear out several gigabytes of storage and keep it free. Anything you delete, such as photos, can be stored on your computer.
First of all, I really don't want to restore back to the default. If I have to do that every time something goes wrong with the iphone, why change anything to start with?

Second, like I said, I don't have the opportunity to do this at the moment. Are you saying this is the only way to get this phone to know that there is now more room? Surly not.

You don't have to restore to factory settings, you'll be able to restore from a backup, which would also solve the problem with the lost note.

You don't have to restore to factory settings, you'll be able to restore from a backup, which would also solve the problem with the lost note.
How would that solve the problem with the lost note when it was not backed up between the start of the note and the phone deleting it?

Regular backups are always recommended, no matter what device or computer system you're using. This applies, no matter what type of phone you use.

Regular backups are always recommended, no matter what device or computer system you're using. This applies, no matter what type of phone you use.
That is very true. Not just with phones but any electronic device that changes are being made.

It would be better to back it up more often, maybe once a week. If you enable automatic backups to iCloud, your iPhone will do this by itself when it's connected to Wi-Fi, plugged in and locked ("sleeping") once a day. You don't have to do anything, just enable it.

It's always possible that something goes wrong, with every electronic device, so it's better to keep a most recent backup, just in case.

It would be better to back it up more often, maybe once a week. If you enable automatic backups to iCloud, your iPhone will do this by itself when it's connected to Wi-Fi, plugged in and locked ("sleeping") once a day. You don't have to do anything, just enable it.

It's always possible that something goes wrong, with every electronic device, so it's better to keep a most recent backup, just in case.
Yes, I know this but that is just not an option. It would be nice if it could do it over its own WiFi.

Yes, I know this but that is just not an option. It would be nice if it could do it over its own WiFi.
That's not possible. That's a feature that only works with Wi-Fi. The option to backup online and automatically, is just available for iOS devices. I've had an Android before. It had to be backed up to a computer, with or without cables.

Last edited: