What's new

How do I get the iphone to recognize that it has more storage available.?

That's not possible. That's a feature that only works with Wi-Fi.
Yes, unfortunately, I know.
The option to backup online and automatically, is just available for iOS devices. I've had an Android before. It had to be backed up to a computer, with or without cables.
Oh, how I wish I could do that.

My point being, I can't just tell the kids to wait right there while I run home and "restore" my phone. I'll be back in two hours. Don't move because I want to get you in front of the sunset there.

It's been over 24 hours and it still hasn't recognized the extra storage. What gives?

Almost all operating systems have unique quirks that seem "unintelligent" at times. In your particular case, you can try a very simple solution to force iOS to "re-look" at everything that is going on. It is called a "hard reboot". Hold the Power/Sleep button and the Home button down at the same time until the Apple logo appears. This type of reboot tells iOS that it needs to recheck everything on startup and assume nothing.

I won't go into the gory details of why things don't work exactly like you want them, but for 98% of the users our there, iOS is setup perfectly for balancing performance versus battery life.

That's not possible without Wi-Fi either (Android).
Then maybe I need a Windows based phone if you are saying that Android and Apple are both difficult to deal with.

Then maybe I need a Windows based phone if you are saying that Android and Apple are both difficult to deal with.
She's not saying anything of the kind. Neither iOS nor Android are inherently difficult to deal with, they just each have their own ways of doing things. If you took the time to learn the ins and outs of iOS, you'd have a much easier time of it. The user guide is a very good place to start. If that doesn't answer all your questions, a question posted here will usually get a response.

Last edited:
She's not saying anything of the kind. Neither iOS nor Android are inherently difficult to deal with, they just each have their own ways of doing things. If you took the time to learn the ins and outs of iOS, you'd have a much easier time of it. The user guide is a very good place to start. If that doesn't answer all your questions, a question posted here will usually get a response.
She said that neither can be backed up without WiFi. I'm not sure where a user's guide will change that.
If connecting to WiFi is not an option and you have to connect to it to get the phone to recognize that it has more available storage than it thinks it does, then there is no answer to my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not say that both systems are difficult to handle.

A backup to iTunes is saved to your computer, locally. For restoring through iTunes, you need an internet connection, partially, but it doesn't need to be via Wi-Fi, afaik.

The answer to your question is in my first reply to your thread: use iTunes to restore your device, if a reboot doesn't change the situation.

I did not say that both systems are difficult to handle.

A backup to iTunes is saved to your computer, locally. For restoring through iTunes, you need an internet connection, partially, but it doesn't need to be via Wi-Fi, afaik.

The answer to your question is in my first reply to your thread: use iTunes to restore your device, if a reboot doesn't change the situation.
Like I said, this is a HUGE inconvenience. This is not always possible. No matter who you are.

Kill all applications that are currently open by double clicking the home bottom and swiping any open applications upwards to put them off. After that refresh the phone by holding down the home bottom and the power on/off switch at the same time until the phone goes blank and you leave the two bottoms when you see the apple logo appear again. This should do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill all applications that are currently open by double clicking the home bottom and swiping any open applications upwards to put them off. After that refresh the phone by holding down the home bottom and the power on/off switch at the same time until the phone goes blank and you leave the two bottoms when you see the apple logo appear again. This should do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.