What's new

How can i upgrade my 3gs cydia 4.0.1 to 5.0?

Barney001

Reaction score
Good people,

I jailbroke my iphone 3gs over 2 years ago with Cydia.
My iphone firmware version is 4.0.1 and I'd like to update it as far as i can go untethered.

Cydia states SHSH iOS 4.1, 4.2.1 etc up to 5.0.1

Can someone please advise me on the simplest way to update the firmware now on this phone. I am totally getting lost with all the different methods now. "Techniques have moved on :))

I thank you all for your kind support!

Barney

P.S The phone is not tied to a provider.
p.p.s Modem Firmware 01.59.00 (just in case?)

Last edited:
I'm not sure or not if you will be able to upgrade to 5.0.1 since 5.1 is out already. Could be possible to upgrade to 5.0.1 i'm just not certain about it. Got to google about that or simply hold on for someone knowledgeable to guide you.

You must first create a custom 5.0.1 firmware using redsn0w or sn0wbreeze and then restore that. If you use redsn0w you can stitch the 5.0.1 SHSH directly into the firmware, if you use sn0wbreeze you will have to run TinyTSS server to bypass iTunes validation check. Be sure not to restore a factory firmware because if you do, you will update your baseband and you will no longer be able to unlock.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Is this an easy job with redsn0w?

I will look into
redsn0w and have a read around how it works. Quick question though...Where do I download firmware 5.0.1 from? I am a bit lost with all this stitching of blobs etc etc.

JMills87 - What exactly do you mean by "Be sure not to restore a factory firmware because if you do, you will update your baseband and you will no longer be able to unlock."

Thanks again

Thanks for the advice guys.

Is this an easy job with redsn0w?

I will look into
redsn0w and have a read around how it works. Quick question though...Where do I download firmware 5.0.1 from? I am a bit lost with all this stitching of blobs etc etc.

JMills87 - What exactly do you mean by "Be sure not to restore a factory firmware because if you do, you will update your baseband and you will no longer be able to unlock."

Thanks again

IPSW files are everywhere. Just type in google "iPhone 3Gs 5.0.1 IPSW download" there ya go. A multitude of choices.

What jMills means by not restoring to a stock ipsw is just that. Do not restore to a stock ipsw (a freshly downloaded ipsw).

Before restoring you have to run the ipsw through a customization tool.

These tools will make your stick IPSW a custom safe ipsw:

iFaith (I recommend this above all, but is only for stitching SHSH blobs to the ipsw. Which you will have to do any way because Apple is no longer signing 5.0.1. You'll have to use blobs for 5.0.1 from Tiny Umbrella).

Sn0wbreeze. (makes a prejailbroken ipsw with Cydia already installed. Can also just choose Baseband preservation mode, and that will or prevent baseband update and not jailbreak it. All Modes in SB preserve baseband)

Redsn0w (also will have to stitch blobs to an ipsw)

PWNGTool (Mac only).

You must use one of these tools to create a custom ipsw. If you do not and just use a regular freshly download ipsw, then your baseband will update and you will lose your unlock.