What's new

How can my jailbroken 5.0 be untethered?

mwalsh

Reaction score
If you've seen my other post you'll know that yesterday I jailbroke and unlocked a 3GS. The phone was already on iOS5.0.1 with baseband 5.16.05 when I started to work on it. I downloaded a backup copy of 5.0 from a repository (not sure I'm allowed to say where) and used it to restore. Then I used redsn0w 0.9.9b8 to flash the iPad 6.15.00 baseband and install Cydia. Then I downloaded the current ultrasn0w for the unlock. I further went into Cydia and had it update everything (including Mobile Substrate - current version 0.9.3901).

As of right now I appear to have a fully untethered jail-broken and unlocked phone - Safari still works and Cydia is still fully available, both without a tether. Anyone care to guess why? According to what I've read, it simply shouldn't be so.

There is no untethered jailbreak for iOS5 and there is no way to downgrade from 5.0.1 to 5.0 now that the signing window is closed. If you have an untethered jailbreak on iOS5 it means that you have a 3Gs with an old bootrom which means that it will have an untethered jailbreak on all current and future firmware.

Ah, yes, it is old bootrom.....week 23 I think. Good to know!