What's new

Updating jailbroken iPhone 4

GazNicki

Reaction score
I have just bought and iPhone 4 which I locked to orange (UK). The phone is currently on iOS 4.1 with baseband 02.10.14 so ultrasn0w won't work to unlock. Instead the phone is processing and IMEI unlock.

I have jailbroken the phone and hactivated it so now it is fully functional.

I would like to update the phone to 6.1, How can I update the phone to 6.1 while preserving the jailbreak?

You have to perform a restore in order to upgrade your iOS, meaning everything is wiped. And since everything is getting wiped, naturally your jailbreak goes along with it. You can take the measure to preserve your settings and both Cydia and stock apps/tweaks/settings by using PKGBackup. Make sure you follow directions that you DOUBLE CHECK that the backup has been made successfully through PKGBackup before restoring. PKGBackup can be purchased through Cydia. Otherwise, you'll have to backup using iTunes for your stock/iTunes supported applications and data, and re-install Cydia packages and tweaks manually after.

If your device's IMEI unlock goes through, you won't need to preserve your baseband (if that's what you're asking as well) and you won't need to hacktivate the device.

How can I update and preserve the baseband then? I know the iPhone 4 will be IMEI unlocked soon, but I also have a 3GS which is on 5.1.1 which has been unlocked using ultrasn0w after putting on the iPad BaseBand and then downgrading to 05.12.01. Ideally I would like to update this to 6.1 while keeping the baseband as it is. Would I have to do this in redsn0w?

RedSn0w is a preferred choice for preserving baseband since Sn0wBreeze does have a reputation of having bugs when creating any custom IPSW, especially when you decide to use Sn0wBreeze's IPSWs. Download the iOS 6.1 IPSW for the device that you want to preserve the baseband with through the official thread below. Open up the latest version of RedSn0w, click on Extras > Custom IPSW and point it to the iOS 6.1 IPSW that you just downloaded. Let it stitch, put your device into DFU mode and restore using the new IPSW created in iTunes. And you'll be on 6.1 on your current baseband.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...ple-ios-firmware-download-links-iphone-17213/

I've never once had an issue with a sn0wbreeze custom firmware and with sn0wbreeze you can update and jailbreak at the same time, whereas if you went with redsn0w it would take 3 steps to update and jailbreak and then untether.