What's new

How can i disable all firmware and software updates on my iphone 4

kimja

Reaction score
Hello. How can i disable all firmware and software updates on my iphone 4 I am giving a jailbroken phone tomy girlfriend. she is blond, so i need to ensure that she does no update the phone. How can i do this? can i block all aple update thro a hose file block? or is there another beter way to block update thro phone or itunes when she conect to computer. best regards from norway

no, you cant do that but you can just tell her to never press restore or update in itunes and when offered a new firmware to just press cancel and warn her that if she does then the phone will become useless, does the device rely on unlock?

so i cant block it throe host file if i jail brak , damn :) i read someting about avira can block software and firmware updates from aple? here mustt be something, i can say it to her. but iknow she probobly press yes sometime:p i think the gevy sim i orderd only work with 5.1.1...so if she update tthe gavy wont work anymore. i am no shore hanks for the replay

so i cant block it throe host file if i jail brak , damn :) i read someting about avira can block software and firmware updates from aple? here mustt be something, i can say it to her. but iknow she probobly press yes sometime:p i think the gevy sim i orderd only work with 5.1.1...so if she update tthe gavy wont work anymore. i am no shore hanks for the replay

well I read some time ago about a tool called
RecoveryGuard but afaik that does not work on ios 5 and I have never really tried to look for it or try it, maybe some one else will know of one

Though not blonde I've got Recovery Guard and No Update installed on my 3GS on 5.0.1 and both work perfectly.
Recovery Guard prevents accidental update through iTunes while No Update prevents inadvertent updating through phone ( Settings>General>Software Update )
These tweaks have to be uninstalled when and if , one wants / needs to Update.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk.

Hello. How can i disable all firmware and software updates on my iphone 4 I am giving a jailbroken phone tomy girlfriend. she is blond, so i need to ensure that she does no update the phone. How can i do this? can i block all aple update thro a hose file block? or is there another beter way to block update thro phone or itunes when she conect to computer. best regards from norway
please do not duplicate posts,just one post per issue,thank you.

You don't need RecoveryGuard to make iTunes think your software is up to date (when your not).

RecoveryGaurd only does one thing, a done thing only.

It changes the build number to 9z999.

That is it.

You can do this yourself without installing any tweak.

Use iFile or SSH into:
System/Library/CoreServices/

Scroll all the way to the bottom to "SystemVersion.plist".

Open with "Property List Viewer".

Simply change the build number from whatever it is (9B206 if on 5.1.1) to 9z999.

That is it. That is literally the only thing RecoverGaurd does.

This makes iTunes think your software is the latest, and it also prevents updating without going into DFU mode.

It does no harm changing the build number but changing the iOS version number is not advised, as some features may get takin' away from the device.
But honestly, if your on 5.0.1 or something then I would just update to 5.1.1.

The battery is better, the jailbreak is at least twice as stable as 5.0.1. It's just better period.

If you already on 5.1.1....then no need to worry about blocking software updates. 5.1.1 is the latest iOS.

Would this tweak also prevent 'inadvertent' OTA updating from the phone ?
As long as the latest version is 5.1.1 ( which incidentally is the version the OP is on ) he has little to worry, but who knows when there's a new version released and there might be weeks before a stable untethered JB for the new version is released, specially when he has to rely on an unlock.
I guess there's no harm in being doubly sure.
I'm waiting for ultrasn0w to update so that I don't need a 'Fixer ' to unlock my J-Broken 3GS on 5.0.1 ( 6.15.00 ) .and moreover waiting for reports from people who've updated to the latest, and jailbroken/unlocked their 3GS phones.
I'd r prefer to be 'safe' rather than 'sorry' period.

Last edited:
drjaycee said:
Would this tweak also prevent 'inadvertent' OTA updating from the phone ?
As long as the latest version is 5.1.1 ( which incidentally is the version the OP is on ) he has little to worry, but who knows when there's a new version released and there might be weeks before a stable untethered JB for the new version is released, specially when he has to rely on an unlock.
I guess there's no harm in being doubly sure.
I'm waiting for ultrasn0w to update so that I don't need a 'Fixer ' to unlock my J-Broken 3GS on 5.0.1 ( 6.15.00 ) .and moreover waiting for reports from people who've updated to the latest, and jailbroken/unlocked their 3GS phones.
I'd r prefer to be 'safe' rather than 'sorry' period.

UltraSn0w was updated to 1.2.7 today.

There are more than one tweak that blocks OTA updates...but OTA updates cannot happen on a jailbroken phone anyway, so they mostly just get rid of the badge.

Once will block the server tho. Can't think of the name. Think it's called NoUpdate but not sure.

I have No Update ,as mentioned in my first post.

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk.