What's new

Hobbies and Interests

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let us know what your hobbies are.
Mine is collecting and restoring antiques, This Victorian beadwork and wool chair was in a bad state when I bought it as in the first photo, A few weeks of my hard work and its restored and will last another hundred or so years.
149881_1716116429280_1429311203_1818602_660586_n.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is collecting and restoring antiques, This Victorian beadwork and wool chair was in a bad state when I bought it as in the first photo, A few weeks of my hard work and its restored and will last another hundred or so years.
View attachment 21979 View attachment 21980 View attachment 21981
That is a beautiful chair! As I look at the detail and craftsmanship, I am saddened that the beauty I see here is seldom seen in modern furniture. Looks like you did an excellent job of restoring this piece.

That is a beautiful chair! As I look at the detail and craftsmanship, I am saddened that the beauty I see here is seldom seen in modern furniture. Looks like you did an excellent job of restoring this piece.
Thanks Ard, It was hard work especially restoring the beadwork in situ, I had to use a curved needle and it was back breaking, The only help I had was pulling in the front legs which were splayed. I used a quality gilt cream on the plaster frame (once I had repaired it) and over that a black paste that takes away the new brassy look.
I'm pretty sure its French, It once resided in a stately home, theres a National Trust sticker underneath.

It was a real challenge but so worthwhile.

View attachment 21979 View attachment 21980 View attachment 21981
This kind of restoration requires a lot of talent as well as the willingness to do what is required. You have both in spades. Congratulations on your excellent work.

This kind of restoration requires a lot of talent as well as the willingness to do what is required. You have both in spades. Congratulations on your excellent work.
Thank you Sci, I really enjoy bringing antiques back to their former glory.

Very nice restoration, my Dad uses to repair antiques for some local dealers (wood only), and sometimes he would use wood and original nails to make "new" antiques to sell.

My hobbies are mainly guitar, piano and cooking when I'm not playing games with my daughter

I guess you could say my hobby is learning, I enjoy learning about almost anything. I study computers, electronics, medicine, philosophy, physics, psychology, and theology (I hold doctorate degrees in the latter two fields).

I studied psychology for a number of years and got half way through a distance learning degree, I loved it but funds ran out. I looked into theology too for a while after listening to a couple of Chuck Missler seminars (mainly because of my software and science background).

One day I'll escape the tedious routine of writing software and do something far more enjoyable

I have to admit to not studying anything at all beyond normal school lessons.
I can turn my hand to just about anything concerning restoration, I am self taught, just trial and error really, I always enjoyed being creative and I'm not happy unless I have a project on the go. Today I bought a small antique clock case minus its clock, I am going to turn it into a little cabinet to house antique thimbles.

I have to admit to not studying anything at all beyond normal school lessons.
I can turn my hand to just about anything concerning restoration, I am self taught, just trial and error really, I always enjoyed being creative and I'm not happy unless I have a project on the go. Today I bought a small antique clock case minus its clock, I am going to turn it into a little cabinet to house antique thimbles.
After seeing some of your restoration work, I wish I had your creativity and attention to detail. I would enjoy seeing some pics of this new project.. even if it's just before and after pics. I've never seen an antique thimble.

After seeing some of your restoration work, I wish I had your creativity and attention to detail. I would enjoy seeing some pics of this new project.. even if it's just before and after pics. I've never seen an antique thimble.
I will post some when its finished.

You might like to see this sewing table I restored a little while ago Ard, I used a victorian dress for the fabric and victorian paper scraps for the top.
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG

You might like to see this sewing table I restored a little while ago Ard, I used a victorian dress for the fabric and victorian paper scraps for the top.
View attachment 22000 View attachment 22001 View attachment 22002 View attachment 22003 View attachment 22004 View attachment 22005 View attachment 22006
Wowsers, that is beautiful! Have you ever considered doing this for a living? I'm tempted to say that you could sell that for a bundle, but I don't think I'd want to let go of it.

Excellent work there.

Thanks Ard, I have been asked but I only do if for myself, Its a labour of love.
It would turn into a job and wouldn't be the same plus it would be very hard to put a price on such work.

Thanks Ard, I have been asked but I only do if for myself, Its a labour of love.
It would turn into a job and wouldn't be the same plus it would be very hard to put a price on such work.
Good points there.. especially about the price.