What's new

Hide from Carrier [Verizon]

Cali Magnum

Reaction score
Howdy.
Well, my phone broke. I am going to get a new one. The carrier is Verizon. I am going to get the Pantech Jest 2; the only NON-smart phone that uses CDMA frequency (a SIM card) on Verizon. I am doing this because I don't want to pay for data or smart phone fee. I am going to buy an AT&T used iPhone 3GS seperately, downgrade to iOS 5.1.1, jailbreak & unlock for use with my Verizon SIM card. But I heard Verizon can automatically detect what type of phone is being used on the SIM card and bill accordingly. If this is true, is there any sort of tweak or system package I can get to prevent Verizon from detecting that I am using an iPhone? Or some sort of ID faker?
(yes I would turn off cellular data and location services, would that do the trick?)

Last edited:
First off... you cannot use an AT&T iPhone on Verizon's service.
Second... there's no way to "hide" a smartphone from a wireless company. There are many users that'd love to do what you're asking... it's just not possible. Once you start using an iPhone, or any data required smartphone, on a line w/o a data package... the wireless company WILL KNOW and contact you regarding the need for a data plan on that line.

Thomasjtsi said:
First off... you cannot use an AT&T iPhone on Verizon's service.
Second... there's no way to "hide" a smartphone from a wireless company. There are many users that'd love to do what you're asking... it's just not possible. Once you start using an iPhone, or any data required smartphone, on a line w/o a data package... the wireless company WILL KNOW and contact you regarding the need for a data plan on that line.

How do TMobile users use AT&T iPhones then? I thought that's what ultrasn0w is for?

Tmobile is a GSM wireless provider like AT&T. Verizon is a CDMA carrier... they just don't mix.

In addition... the Verizon SIM card is for LTE use. They still use the CDMA radios for voice & texts.

The GSM iPhones don't support the frequency bandwidth that CDMA iPhones or other phones use. Carriers recognize your phone through your SIM, whether if it's a regular SIM, a CSIM, etc etc, in order to identify if you're really a subscriber to their service. Plus, they have your IMEI numbers for your line, so if the receiving end doesn't match, they'll know.

Thanks all. But with all due respect, Verizon is GSM. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint are CDMA. Not the other way around. But what you are saying still makes sense. Oh well. Looks like I'll just get an iPod.

Thanks all. But with all due respect, Verizon is GSM. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint are CDMA. Not the other way around. But what you are saying still makes sense. Oh well. Looks like I'll just get an iPod.

Verizon and Sprint use CDMA technology, T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM technology.. last I checked.

Last edited:

LOL!!!! No no no... 😄 Like Ard said above... AT&T & Tmobile are GSM, Sprint and Verizon are CDMA.

Then I don't understand. I was on Verizon's website and they only had one standard phone that used CDMA frequency?

Then I don't understand. I was on Verizon's website and they only had one standard phone that used CDMA frequency?

"Standard phone"? As opposed to "smartphone"? That could be confusing.

And the only smartphone that uses CDMA frequency on Verizon is some blackberry.

Honestly, I can't vouch for anything that VZW's website says... I'm not a customer. Best I can figure, there's some type of communication error going on there. 😄 Either way, an AT&T iPhone will not work on VZW... sorry.