What's new

Hide from Carrier [Verizon]

Well either way, I was honestly only asking for my friend because he's to lazy to figure this stuff out. You should check out my newest thread. Could be very useful.

No. All Verizon and Sprint phones are CDMA phones. GSM phones will not work on a CDMA network because it doesn't support CDMA EV-DO period. That's not built-in with any GSM phones. The only exception to this rule would be the iPhone3,2, which has some compatibility with CDMA, not all networks, and it's very VERY limited.

I thought a factory unlocked no contract iPhone could use both GSM and CDMA? And if not, is there ANY iPhone that I can use a Verizon sim card with, besides iPhone 5?

The 4S. It's not about whether or not they have a SIM or if they're unlocked. The physical hardware of the phone is incompatible with CDMA frequencies

Thanks! Not in my budget right now. I wish the state gave my dad 2 free iPhones instead of 2 free iPads :/

Of the iPhone series, only the 4S and the 5 are dual-band phones as of now. The rest are differentiated.

Then I don't understand. I was on Verizon's website and they only had one standard phone that used CDMA frequency?

Your confusion is based on a misunderstanding about Verizon. Verizon only offers CMDA phones. But it offers 3 types.

1) Analog CDMA (Used to be 2 frequencies, now done to 1)
2) Digital CDMA (2 frequency ranges)
3) LTE CDMA

All dumb phones on VZW website are categorized as either dual-band or tri-band phones. Those bands are in reference to the two digital and one analog frequencies. Tri-band phones are now very hard to come by so usually you will see those phones listed with extra info for the people that require one.

Why would someone need that? The easiest example is South Lake Tahoe California. If you live in a specific area that doesn't get the digital reflection from the Nevada towers, you will get an analog only signal. That tower is owned by a individual that charges VZW a great deal of money to access. And due to local contracts for towers, VZW has no way to get around it. There are a lot of rural and country towers that have similar situations.

Cali Magnum said:
I thought a factory unlocked no contract iPhone could use both GSM and CDMA? And if not, is there ANY iPhone that I can use a Verizon sim card with, besides iPhone 5?

Kind of like having an AM radio and expecting it to pickup a FM station. The technologies are different. You can't use a CB radio to listen to XM and CDMA and GSM are not compatible, doesn't matter what you try, if your phone doesn't have the proper hardware.