What's new

Help with new iphone and setting it up.

curtis0432

Reaction score
I just got a used Iphone 3g for free from my uncle so I am planing on getting the iPhone set up since it is much better than my LG SHINE!! All have to do is change the Screen because it is cracked. Any ways I have heard of people having problems with there phone being locked? What does it mean by your phone is locked, And what exactly is a SIM card.. My uncle bought the phone and he had Rogers and a Rogers sim card.. does that mean I could get a Telus SIM card and the Iphone would work perfectly or do I have to use Rogers because that's were he bought the phone. I am a total newb when it comes to smart phones so any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

Curtis

first off welcome and i hope your enjoying the iphone. you do however have to "unlock" your iphone to be used with a different SIM card. Sim cards are just what is used to register to the network and some carry your contacts . if you need to unlock your phone check out the iphone hacks part of the forum . you can learn a lot from here and the people in the forums

so do i need to jail break it.. or can i just call the phone Telus and they can set the phone up for me?

Im not sure how this works...

so do i need to jail break it.. or can i just call the phone Telus and they can set the phone up for me?

Im not sure how this works...

In order to use the phone to make phone calls, you will have to use roger sim card, since the phone was purchased on roger. If you want to use another carrier sim card, then you will have to jailbreak and then unlock the phone to be able to use another carrier sim card on the phone. Calling another carrier other than roger to unlock the phone for you will be useless.

OK so now what do i do? I just jailed breaked it and installed a new baseband and i still cannot access other cell phone companies?

what did i do wrong.. right now i have an Iphone 3G 4.21 (8C148) modem firmware of 06.15.00

I followed this video when i did the jail break and attempt to unlock
youtube.com/watch?v=yHCmV1GO5xI
sorry i couldnt add a link because im new lol!!!

any help would be appreciated! I really want to get this phone working!