What's new

Guys, help about activation, unlocking and the contract leftover after unlocking

Pratt54

Reaction score
Well,I was thinking of an iPhone 4.Primary place of use:-India.iPhone on contract are cheap in US.So will be importing one in India through one of my dad's friends.My ques:-
1)How can I activate the iPhone 4 without activating it with an AT&T card?????Or directly bringing it in India????
2)How do I unlock the iPhone 4 on iOS 5?????
3)What happenss to the contract of AT&T after I unlock the iPhone 4???????......(I mean the AT&T contract will still be on eve if I unlock the iPhone 4.Even will the contract be on after I unlock the iPhone????...A bit doubtful about it.)
Please help me about it.Thanks in advance.Please reply...Regards from Pratt54

1) You can activate the phone by jailbreaking it with Redsn0w(try getting one with 5.0.1 if you can since the jailbreak is untethered on that firmware).

2) You can unlock the iPhone by using the SAM method detailed here: http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...-jailbroken-iphone-regardless-baseband-38283/

3) The contract isn't based on whether the phone is unlocked or not. It is based on the commitment you made in the contract. If you signed a 2-year contract you have to pay them for the entire 2 years or you break your contract and will be fined. The unlock does not nullify your agreement with AT&T so you should get an AT&T locked cellphone that is off-contract(have your dad's friend buy an AT&T iPhone on eBay so it will not be under contract).

1) You can activate the phone by jailbreaking it with Redsn0w(try getting one with 5.0.1 if you can since the jailbreak is untethered on that firmware).

2) You can unlock the iPhone by using the SAM method detailed here: http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...-jailbroken-iphone-regardless-baseband-38283/

3) The contract isn't based on whether the phone is unlocked or not. It is based on the commitment you made in the contract. If you signed a 2-year contract you have to pay them for the entire 2 years or you break your contract and will be fined. The unlock does not nullify your agreement with AT&T so you should get an AT&T locked cellphone that is off-contract(have your dad's friend buy an AT&T iPhone on eBay so it will not be under contract).

Thanks for the info buddy...
But as you said,I will be fined if I don't pay the bills....But what if don't pay only those bills????...Just ignore them????...Then what action will AT&T take????...
Also the iPhone 4 comes cheap with contract and on eBay it goes about 400$ which is not my budget????....The unlocking with SAM works with AT&T card inserted at start procedure I suppose????(A bit doubtful)....Please reply..

Last edited:
Pratt54 said:
Thanks for the info buddy...
But as you said,I will be fined if I don't pay the bills....But what if don't pay only those bills????...Just ignore them????...Then what action will AT&T take????...Please reply..

Pay the bills.

Just pay the bills mate. You will regret not doing so......if you ever plan on coming back to AT&T that is.lol

Pay the bills.

Just pay the bills mate. You will regret not doing so......if you ever plan on coming back to AT&T that is.lol

But tell me what will they do????

Nothing. But iw will ruin your credit, and you wont be able to come back to AT&T until they are all payed. Not worth ruining your credit if ya ask me. But generally no...........AT&T wont do anything.

Nothing. But iw will ruin your credit, and you wont be able to come back to AT&T until they are all payed. Not worth ruining your credit if ya ask me. But generally no...........AT&T wont do anything.

Man,I'm a bit confused.Are your threatening me in mockery?????
Or are you serious?????
Seriously man,tell me,will they do ANYTHING(ANYTHING SERIOUS)????
And what do you mean by "credit"???...Do you mean credit card????

Last edited:
Pratt54 said:
Man,I'm a bit confused.Are your threatening me in mockery?????
Or are you serious?????
Seriously man,tell me,will they do ANYTHING(ANYTHING SERIOUS)????
And what do you mean by "credit"???...Do you mean credit card????

No. Honestly. No mocking here. AT&T will not do anything. I have never heard of anyone actually getting in trouble because they did not pay there phone bills. And I know quite a few people that can never go back to AT&T and Verizon unless that pay off what they owes, years ago.

AT&T will take no action against you. Tho the fact that you have an unpaid bill.....will Demise your credit. Meaning you will never be able to get loans, or start up on another carrier without paying a ridiculous security deposit.

I'm not joking. Seriously. Damaging our credit without repairing it can damage your finances for the rest of your life. Some people....for crazy unknown reason.....just don't give a sh**. I have no idea why anyone would avoid getting out of debt.

Dont pay it all at once....you can mak payment I believe.

No. Honestly. No mocking here. AT&T will not do anything. I have never heard of anyone actually getting in trouble because they did not pay there phone bills. And I know quite a few people that can never go back to AT&T and Verizon unless that pay off what they owes, years ago.

AT&T will take no action against you. Tho the fact that you have an unpaid bill.....will Demise your credit. Meaning you will never be able to get loans, or start up on another carrier without paying a ridiculous security deposit.

I'm not joking. Seriously. Damaging our credit without repairing it can damage your finances for the rest of your life. Some people....for crazy unknown reason.....just don't give a sh**. I have no idea why anyone would avoid getting out of debt.

Dont pay it all at once....you can mak payment I believe.

Well,then I guess I would buy an factory unlocked or won't buy one.

Pratt54 said:
Well,then I guess I would buy an factory unlocked or won't buy one.

Well, is is "always" best to get a factory unlocked phone, if you don't care about being tied to a contract. it's just way more expensive. I think it would be nearly the same amount to by an iPhone with AT&T and pay the cancelation fee any way.

Well, is is "always" best to get a factory unlocked phone, if you don't care about being tied to a contract. it's just way more expensive. I think it would be nearly the same amount to by an iPhone with AT&T and pay the cancelation fee any way.

What is the cancellation fee????

What is the cancellation fee????

The cancellation fee varies depending on how much of the contract you have fulfilled. Like zig said, not paying AT&T will ruin your credit(or your dads friends credit, whoever buys the phone).

Like I said in my original post, just buy a pre-owned AT&T iPhone off eBay that is not under contract. This way you still pay closer to the same price as you would through AT&T but you don't have to fork over the big bucks for a factory unlocked phone.