What's new

gps navigation

mnicdao7212253

Reaction score
is it possible to install tomtom or garmin in iphone 4? how?

if no, what gps navigation can i install in my iphone without the need of an internet connection constantly?

i came from a winmo device, and i installed garmin and added the maps and it worked perfectly without the need of an internet connection. (just had to download latest map and install it)

welcome to the forum. you can install tomtom but the rice is a ripp off from app store they have europe for 80 i think uk and ireland and other countries for stupid prices that i will never pay. maps on the iphone is good but its not good for traveling, its more like an electronic map

So, does the iPhone 4 have a dedicated, full GPS functionality?

I ask because, when I use the pre-installed Maps app, it won't update my position without the little wheel working.

Is the GPS in the iPhone truley independent from a wi-fi or 3G connection?

I ask because, when I use the pre-installed Maps app, it won't update my position without the little wheel working.

It is but you will need an app with pre-loaded maps. Because google maps requires the network to load the map.

tomtom can be used on iphone 4,i just buy it yesterday and it work....

banner.png

It is but you will need an app with pre-loaded maps. Because google maps requires the network to load the map.

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification. Too bad Apple didn't make Maps a full database/functioning GPS. For the price of these things, you shouldn't have to spend extra money (and the in case of TomTom lots of extra money) to get a complete GPS app

Which GPS apps require none or very little 3g/wifi usage when travelling? which also is good for both car use and walking.

I was hoping to get the tomtom app but ive read it isnt good for walking around.

I ask because im going to Prague, Czech in October and if I use the iPhone GPS app it uses alot of 3G data which would be extremely expensive roaming charges using it in another country. Ive never been there before and id love to be able to use my iphone as navigation for when im walking around the city, rather than use a paperback map.

Using tomtom and navigon right now and they are good! Navigon has the latest maps.

is there a way to install tomtom or navigon for free (hacked version). should i google it or is there forum topic for hacked apps for iphone?