What's new

Got to unlock my friends iPhone - I'm stuck..

bensweet

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did an inphone reset on my friend's 3Gs and after that it got stuck on the apple logo and brought it in DFU mode..

It had OS3 on there but like to put OS5 on there and have to unlock it again..

I've done it before but there are so many ways and options these days that I'm really confused..

not sure about eh baseband etc but it has been unlocked 2 years ago and has never updated so I think it's ok..

can someone please tell me what to use to unlock and where and what version of OS5? to get to recover from DFU mode withouth getting the latest version installed and being locked out?

Thanks in advance for the help

ben

Sorry I forgot to make it clear: it's a 3G

After I do that I have to unlock it again right? what is the best and most easy way these days? I'm on a mac btw.. thanks so much! :

Oowwww Mac... not sure how to do the direct IPSW restore on that one. We'll find out for you though. :) Restoring back to 4.2.1 will put the Baseband @ 05.15.04. That BB requires the installation of the 6.15.00 iPad baseband for unlocking.

OK, so even if we restore it back to OS3 something then it will be fine, I just like to get it out of my hands soon so she has her phone back..

What would be the way to go with that in regard to unlocking method and IPSW download?

The thing about going back to iOS 3.x.x..... you'd need to know exactly what version it was... and have SHSH's saved for that version, since Apple is obviously no longer signing the 3.x.x versions. The reason you can restore to 4.2.1 is because Apple is still signing it for verification on the 3G.

Your IPSW download is most likely going to have to be the 4.2.1 I linked to you a few posts ago... unless you know exactly what 3.x.x versin it's on AND have the SHSH's saved for that version. Unlocking will involve JBing and installing the iPad BB.

Thank you kindly for the fast responses, really nice!

OK so I will install 4.2.1 on it..

After that what would be the steps and the tools needed to unlock the iphone again?

To unlock... you first need to JB the iPhone. Now, I'm not 100% sure if redsn0w will JB the 3G on 4.2.1. So... go ahead and download the 4.2.1 IPSW and get iTunes restoring to that. By then... one of our other gurus should chime in and add some specifics on the 4.2.1 JB & unlock.

Not a guru by any means but I have a 3G on 4.2.1 jailbroken on redsnow and unlocked. Works the same as any redsnow jb.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

thanks for the info, I'm going to work on it soon and will report in with the result :)

OK,

so I did a manual restore in Itunes with 4.2.1 and then downloaded Redsnow and jailbroke the iPhone, it all works fine but there is no phone connection.. I was not able to install the ipad baseband.

currently it's on baseband 05.15.04

Can someone help me out?

OK,so I did a manual restore in Itunes with 4.2.1 and then downloaded Redsnow and jailbroke the iPhone, it all works fine but there is no phone connection.. I was not able to install the ipad baseband.currently it's on baseband 05.15.04Can someone help me out?
You'll need to run redsn0w again... and choose the iPad BB option under Extras.