What's new

Going back and forth between JB'en 4S and my new iP5

aox4121

Reaction score
I saw this described but never confirmed as plausible at the ModMyi forum and just wanted to run it by the helpful gang I've found here.

One guy was talking about unlocking (permanent thru an eBay seller) his 4S now Jailbroken on 5.1.1. Then buying a new iPhone 5 and getting his phone number ported to new iP5. Then ordering one of those micro to nano SIM adaptors and simply moving his SIM back and forth between his 4S and the 5 to sorta give the iP5 a test drive but still having access to his JB world on the 4S.
1) is this a plausible plan?
2) is the unlock step for the 4S necessary if I just want to move an AT&T sim back and forth?
3) should everything with MMS stay copacetic in this back and forth plan?
4) if I just leave my 4S as an iPod touch will I get iMessages on both 4S and iP5?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

1) Well... It's impractical to really run 2 phones unless you're using 2 two phones for 2 completely different purposes simultaneously, like a personal phone and a work phone, etc.

2) That step would depend on the native carriers of both iPhones. If both the 4S and the 5 are AT&T iPhones, then you won't need to unlock it, just need the SIM tray.

3) Yes assuming you're either unlocked on a non-AT&T native iPhone or both iPhones are AT&T iPhones.

4) Assuming that you're using your AppleID and not your phone number, or you're using both, yes.

Thanks for your reply!
1) Well... It's impractical to really run 2 phones unless you're using 2 two phones for 2 completely different purposes simultaneously, like a personal phone and a work phone, etc.
Oh sure. I totally agree. But my life is too entangled with Jailbreak tweaks to use the unjailbroken iP5 for anything other than a cool test drive until the new jailbreak is released - but also purchasing the iP5 early enough that it will be on a low enough iOS version to be included in the jailbreak. That's the reason to buy now.

It's actually the 5 that will likely be more of an iPod Touch for me until the new jb is out. Just wanted to make sure that this person's "technical" plan was one that would work. You seem to be hugely knowledgeable at this forum so I figure if you give it a thumbs up here too - then the plan will work as outlined.

Thanks alot!!

They're practically *done* with the jailbreak if you will. It's just finding a way to put it together using RedSn0w that's probably the real problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

They're practically *done* with the jailbreak if you will. It's just finding a way to put it together using RedSn0w that's probably the real problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 
Yeah - getting the public package together is always the thing that takes a long time. Last year we saw the video and had proof of the Dev untether at the beginning of December but we didn't get the public release until 1/20/12 for Absinthe. In your thread I give you my spiel on why we have to see a video to believe, bro.

Thanks again for all your help here. I'm heading to Apple tomorrow for my 5.

I'm hoping I can get an upgrade swap accepted in Store.. Then AT&T can change the numbers for me.