What's new

Forgotten Pass code (iPhone 5s)

SparkyG

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have an iPhone 5s that I am looking to sell, but having not used it for a long time now, I have forgotten my pass code. I am aware that this can be reset/erased using iTunes, however, iTunes simply will not recognise my devise. I have checked the USB drivers as well as all other areas that are relevant and everything is fine. When I start up the devise it's asking for my pass code but also starts talking to me each time I touch a key or press a button.......It's totally bizarre.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am not sure what to tell you. Do you have all of the original packaging and paperwork to prove it is your phone? Apple may be able to help you in that case.

I have grown so disgusted with passwords not just for phones but for every darn site I use. They not only require you to have a password, but they require you compose it to their specifications. Then, they expect you to remember a password they forced you to create that you knew as you created it you would not remember it. Seriously. I use one website where if you type in your password incorrectly twice, it automatically becomes no good, and they force you create a brand new one. "Security" has turned into people not being able to access their own accounts in some circumstances without creating a new password every time they try to access the account. CL did this recently. Their specifications for passwords has become so elaborate, that I do not even try to remember a password for the site. I just type in a bunch of gibberish each time knowing that the next time I will have to do it all over again. Maybe that is what they intend users to do. It is bloody annoying. Is it really necessary for me to have an extremely complex password just so whence I am cleaning out he garage I can post some stuff for sale on CL?? Come on!

Sorry. Passwords have been a touchy issue for me for some time now.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, SparkyG!

This sounds as if VoiceOver is active on your device. Every time you touch something on your screen once, it will tell you what has been selected. Also, gestures work different. A single tap makes your iPhone read aloud what’s on the screen. You’d have to tap two more times to really select it or enter something.

If Siri is enabled, use “Hey Siri”, and ask it to turn off this feature.

Another option would be to triple press the Home button to bring up Accessibility shortcuts, and turn off VoiceOver from there.

Make sure iTunes on your computer and your computer are up to date. Then connect your iPhone, and use recovery mode to erase your iPhone: If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled

Hi J.A & HunnieBunnie

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Re the voice over, it's an issue but not the brunt of the problem. The phone simply isn't recognised. I've even used Dr.Fone for IOS but that's not having any of it either. If it was recognised then there wouldn't be an issue. I could take it to a store but would rather do without the hassle to be honest.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards

Because the device is not recognized, I’ve suggested recovery mode to erase it. Did you try that too?

What version of iTunes do you have on your Mac/PC? That may be why it isn't recognized