What's new

Files app. on Iphone Pro Max 12

Henry W.

Reaction score
Using files app for picture storage that can be accessed in an effecient manner ( Iphone Pro Max 12 ). Using a system of Parent Folder with subfolders leading to individual pictures. Files app worked fine at first but as the picture volume increased app started to work very slowly. So the app works, but when it is given a command to move to a new picture, or folder it goes into a long "loading" cycle. I have plenty of storage, have cleared ram, cycled phone on/off...etc... the rest of the phone works fine - no changes, the Files app. only has a problem. Currently the Files app. has 15.3 MB of data.
Question 1 Is this app capable of working with thousands of pictures ?
Question 2 If question one answer is no, is the Photos app. capable to work with thousands pictures stored in the folder system described above ?
Question 3 If I upgrade to the 15 Pro Max that wil give 2 GB more RAM, a stronger CPU & GPU will that solve this problem ?
Queston 4 How would learn how the CPU, Ram, GPU ( ? ) interact to complete commands of moving from folder to folder or folder to picture in the Files app ?

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Files can store data on the iPhone, or online (iCloud Drive). Which one did you choose when setting up your folders? Take a look at the app, and go to Locations to find this out.

If you selected iCloud Drive, the images are stored online and synced to other Apple devices. If you didn‘t look at the pictures for a while, iCloud needs to load them. That can take a while, no matter which size they are. Another problem might be a slow internet connection.

The app itself can handle quite a few files. Mine has about 23 GB of data right now.

In Photos, you can use Shared Albums, and decide to share these with yourself. It‘s not possible to create subfolders, though. So a system like the one you‘ve set up in Files is not an option.

Last edited:
Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Files can store data on the iPhone, or online (iCloud Drive). Which one did you choose when setting up your folders? Ake a look at the app, and go to Locations to find this out.

If you selected iCloud Drive, the images are stored online and synced to other Apple devices. If you didn‘t look at the pictures for a while, iCloud needs to load them. That can take a while, no matter which size they are. Another problem might be a slow internet connection.

The app itself can handle quite a few files. Mine has about 23 GB of data right now.

In Photos, you can use Shared Albums, and decide to share these with yourself. It‘s not possible to create subfolders, though. So a system like the one you‘ve set up in Files is not an option.
First thank for the reply - it is very much appreciated ! Data is stored on phone ( I do not want monthly payments to Icloud ) and I have 2 GB of data ( average size of each picture is 1MB ). With data stored on phone and not using any internet related storage is it accurate to say the internet is not an issue ( all other phone functions have not changed ) ?
So I feel the issue lies with the app itself ( code of the app. not written for extensive folder to folder movement ) or the phones inadequate RAM / CPU etc... power to execute folder movement on the Files app. or both.
Interested in your thoughts on this issue. Thanks again, Henry.

You‘re right, the internet is not a problem in your case.

If you keep them on your iPhone, it takes the device‘s storage space. Photos tend to use quite a bit storage.

I also own an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and my device‘s capacity is 128 GB, with 81 GB still available. How about yours? Go to Settings - About - Capacity, and, more important, directly below that: Available. If there‘s not much left, that might be the reason for your issue.

Thanks agian for the reply. As noted in the intial post storage is not an issue ( 215 GB remaining ).

In this case, getting a new device with more RAM might be a solution. I‘m not an expert on this, so hopefully someone else will be able to answer your last two questions satisfactorily.