What's new

Facetime without AT&T Service

shoey812

Reaction score
Is it possible to use facetime over wifi even if I do not have cellular service with AT&T?

Is there a specific way to set it up? I have not been able to get it to work.

Is there a specific way to set it up? I have not been able to get it to work.

No just havetoo have 2 iphone4's on wifi. There is a slider in settings that needs to be on.... Other than that they should work just fine.

Mine doesn't work with t-mobile (I was told it can't work) I use Tango

Wow... I really miss-read this post! If your not using ATT it won't work because it uses the number to connect. Hopefully they will come up with an option to use email on the iPhone now that there is a FT for Mac. Try yahoo messenger the video is pretty good on it too!

That's what I thought, but I was hoping for a work around... I have an iphone4 that is not activated with AT&T and I wanted to use facetime... it sounds like that's not possible at the moment..

Wow... I really miss-read this post! If your not using ATT it won't work because it uses the number to connect. Hopefully they will come up with an option to use email on the iPhone now that there is a FT for Mac. Try yahoo messenger the video is pretty good on it too!

wow, so they really have us on this app... If I read this right, it only uses wifi to facetime...BUT you have to have service with AT&T to be able to use it? I too have an iphone4 without an ATT contract (planning to jb/unlock when available to get prepaid plan). my wife has an ipod touch4 and so we cant even use facetime over wifi simply because I don't have a service plan with ATT? geez. nice app.

There is one program that make it work if your phone is jail broken. go to mitime.info.com and check it out . He doesn't have a fix for 4.1 yet but he said it will be soon

hi danny

my problem is that i dont have an icon of facetime . when i go to gemeral---phone i only see my number and option for callwaiting and call forward. and caller id on or of but no facetime icon at all . any help .

hi danny

my problem is that i dont have an icon of facetime . when i go to gemeral---phone i only see my number and option for callwaiting and call forward. and caller id on or of but no facetime icon at all . any help .

What carrier are you using?

i used T-mobile,
hi danny

What carrier are you using?

so how does one dial without the phone service???

Yes, it should work just fine on wifi.

How do u manage to video call someone phone number and having iPhone4 and who is on wifi if your phone services are turned of? I think that you can't get the call go out if your phone services are off even though you are on wifi, unless you use tango or anyother software like skype to dial your contact number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk