What's new

Face Detection...and Sound/Time control

konikub

Reaction score
Two questions in one about possible apps for my first iPhone.

1. Is there a face detection app like the Galaxy Nexus with Android ICS has coming out? It looks flipping awesome!!!

2. My HTC EVO had an app that let you set times of the day where you set it to automagically go silent, and when you want it to come back to life, you set the time you want the volume to be up high enough so I can hear a ringtone. When I got to bed I turn my volume down so I don't wake up my "better half"....and when I get up I have three missed calls. I am looking for an app that makes the phone go silent at like 10pm and then at 6am bring it back to full. I don't wake up until around 10am, but would like to wake up to calls (if I get them). Make sense?

It would be hard to believe that Android has such apps that Apple does not...I'm probably not looking in the correct places in the app store. Any suggestions?

From 132 views of this thread...and senior memebers/super mods always answering questions, I take it the answer to both my questions is no and no...lol. Okie doke :)

There is no app doing your second question about silencing the phone and so on... Unless you jailbreak which I'm not even sure if there is something in cydia doing exactly what you need.
As for the face detection, I also do not know any app doing that.
But if those features are really important for you, you always have the option to switch back to your droid phone.

Yet another deficiency in the Apple, and a plus point for the droid, they are going at super high speed, I bet that in some time, instead of lining up at Apple's store people will line up at the droid stores waiting for release of new droid phones, as they are adding new and more features with time and most of all, they are open to everything thats what adds a lot to their reputation.

Yet another deficiency in the Apple, and a plus point for the droid, they are going at super high speed, I bet that in some time, instead of lining up at Apple's store people will line up at the droid stores waiting for release of new droid phones, as they are adding new and more features with time and most of all, they are open to everything thats what adds a lot to their reputation.
Your statement fall hands up. Open source, a lot of features, whatever... means no battery life, means "Hello Bugs", means no security, no privacy, means your poor droid will let you down when you will need it the most. Again you are welcome to look back, it's all your call.

bab2010 said:
Your statement fall hands up. Open source, a lot of features, whatever... means no battery life, means "Hello Bugs", means no security, no privacy, means your poor droid will let you down when you will need it the most. Again you are welcome to look back, it's all your call.

+1
Fragmentation, lack of support, newer devices constantly releasing, malware, etc etc.

...instead of lining up at Apple's store people will line up at the droid stores waiting for release of new droid phones...
Really, hmmm.... last time I checked there's no such thing as a "droid store" there Peter. Nor will there ever be! The only reason Apple doesn't have more of the smartphone market cornered is because Android is smeared all over numerous devices and available on every single major carrier. Rant over...

konikub said:
Two questions in one about possible apps for my first iPhone.

1. Is there a face detection app like the Galaxy Nexus with Android ICS has coming out? It looks flipping awesome!!!

2. My HTC EVO had an app that let you set times of the day where you set it to automagically go silent, and when you want it to come back to life, you set the time you want the volume to be up high enough so I can hear a ringtone. When I got to bed I turn my volume down so I don't wake up my "better half"....and when I get up I have three missed calls. I am looking for an app that makes the phone go silent at like 10pm and then at 6am bring it back to full. I don't wake up until around 10am, but would like to wake up to calls (if I get them). Make sense?

It would be hard to believe that Android has such apps that Apple does not...I'm probably not looking in the correct places in the app store. Any suggestions?

I heard that apple is working in 3d face detection,a more safer version of android face detection

I've owned both, been happy with both. I know more android owners than iPhone owners, but I never hear one wishing they owned the other.
It's like comparing political beliefs, regardless of how you dress it up, very few people change beliefs because it has a new face. However, it's pointless bringing this subject up because it will always be slanted toward one side based on where it gets discussed.

NewdestinyX said:
I heard this too. Apple works a long time on something before releasing and makes sure it's safe and doesn't compromise your security. I make the analogy that droid is like Windows PC and apple is like, well.., APPLE! LOL!.. In the PC world you get a wider array of choices for apps, etc.. but you get bugs, malware and way more crashing -- as a whole platform it's inferior to Apple. Now - with Apple you get the whole 'it's our way' and 'everybody's phone has to be the same and look the same'... Lock down.. on everything -- that makes us 'jailbreak' our phones for some 'individuality'. Or the way Apple insists on no Flash support. So Apple's not without it's "issues".. But there is simply NO comparison between a Droid and an iPhone in terms of quality of product. I've 'never met' even 'one' happy Droid owner. THree of my friends hating the idea of 'falling to the giant iPhone bandwagon' spent 2 days or a little more with a Droid - and then came over to an iPhone.

But 'each to his/her own'.. :)

Exactly said.both have got their pros and cons but apple somehow manages to go more into the pros dept.however their R&D must be really good so they get the best juice out of their fruits.reason why they r inventing 3D face detection is coz in ice cream of u have a pic of the owner it can still unlock but if it's 3d it's impossible as of now.so let's see how it comes up with

OP here......lol, and no I do NOT wish to go back to Android. I have never been happier with a phone as I have with my iPhone 4S. I was just curious if I was missing those apps in the app store. No worries. I know it's just a matter of time before Apple come standard with face recognition...or finger print scanning...and when it does come out, it will be a slam dunk, like Siri was. Android does not have anything close to Siri.....still.

Ya, Android is WAY too fragmented to even consider again. If an update such as ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) came out...no phone would get it besides the new Nexus device...then each device would have a few month wait, or even a years wait to get the update. Apple puts out an update, and ALL iPhone's get the update ;)

konikub said:
OP here......lol, and no I do NOT wish to go back to Android. I have never been happier with a phone as I have with my iPhone 4S. I was just curious if I was missing those apps in the app store. No worries. I know it's just a matter of time before Apple come standard with face recognition...or finger print scanning...and when it does come out, it will be a slam dunk, like Siri was. Android does not have anything close to Siri.....still.

Ya, Android is WAY too fragmented to even consider again. If an update such as ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) came out...no phone would get it besides the new Nexus device...then each device would have a few month wait, or even a years wait to get the update. Apple puts out an update, and ALL iPhone's get the update ;)

Spot on.Even it supports the 3 series.That explains the versatility of their os.however I m sure if they invent it I m sure it's gonna be one hell of a show that even android will keep on dreaming ;-)

I just got through reading a few post on Google's flagship Galaxy Nexus. I was surprised to see all the mixed reviews! The thing that got me about most of them, was many of them was more concerned about the hardware. They way it looked felt, battery door etc. Not to many people made comments on the software which is the most important feature I think. Some like it, some don't. Some even said it's sort of an iPhone off shoot. I'll have to examine the phone for myself.

I agree that Android is acting as if they were Microsoft. Just getting the OS on every and any device they can possibly get to. I was tired of keeping up with the latest and greatest device. Android seems to be saturating the market right now. Heck, they are giving these phones away! I looked for more bang for my buck. It cost Apple $188 to make 1 iPhone 4S. I bought mine for $199.00. It just makes good business sense. On top of that, there are many dissatisfied Gnex/Razrs users, and far more less Dissatisfied 4s users.

I still have my droid, and I would love to pick up a Thunderbolt. I will still use the dependable 4S for most communication, and stick with Deving on the Android devices.