What's new

Evasi0n7 (iOS 7) Jailbreak Discussion Thread

Restore fresh and retry. If you're on windows, make sure you run as an admin.

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa

should i restore to stock then jailbreak before restoring my backup or restore to latest backup then retry to jailbreak?

Either or. Both will yield the same result. The key is the fresh restoration. As long as you restore fresh, whether you restore your backup prior or after the jailbreak is up to you. Neither route will affect your usability of your device or the data

Either or. Both will yield the same result. The key is the fresh restoration. As long as you restore fresh, whether you restore your backup prior or after the jailbreak is up to you. Neither route will affect your usability of your device or the data
True or False- If I do a backup of my jailbroken device, restore to fresh (complete wipe on same iOS) and then restore from the jailbroken backup, it also restores my jailbreak and cydia apps.

Rik

Last edited:
True or False- If I do a backup of my jailbroken device, restore to fresh (complete wipe on same iOS) and then restore from the jailbroken backup, it also restores my jailbreak and cydia apps.

Rik

False. Unless it's a plist mod or hard system mod, it won't be backed up. You'll need to use a backup tweak like PKGBackup. Alternatively, you can backup your installed packages manually into a list, then after the restore, place the backed up list into /var/mobile/, then restore that list of apps back. Make sure you're signed into your Cydia account before restoring the list or you'll get the HTTP 500 error.

To manually make the list, open up MobileTerminal or an SSH Terminal Client (PuTTy, Terminal, etc) on your computer. Login if you're using a computer.

Run the command dpkg --get-selections > installed-apps.txt

This will generate a text file in /var/mobile/ with a list of installed packages. I don't remember if it backs up the repos as well, but it does for packages. Save this text file onto your computer.

Restore your device, re-jailbreak, place the text file back into /var/mobile. Then run the following commands in order.

dpkg --set-selections < installed-apps.txt

apt-get dselect-upgrade

In some occasions there may be a hiccup in the txt file, in which case, you can run

apt-get --fix-missing dselect-upgrade

TL;DR: Simple way to do it is to buy PKGBackup. Free/manual way uses Terminal Commands

False. Unless it's a plist mod or hard system mod, it won't be backed up. You'll need to use a backup tweak like PKGBackup.

Alternatively, you can backup your installed packages manually into a list, then after the restore, place the backed up list into /var/mobile/, then restore that list of apps back. Make sure you're signed into your Cydia account before restoring the list or you'll get the HTTP 500 error.

To manually make the list, open up MobileTerminal or an SSH Terminal Client (PuTTy, Terminal, etc) on your computer. Login if you're using a computer.

Run the command dpkg --get-selections > installed-apps.txt

This will generate a text file in /var/mobile/ with a list of installed packages. I don't remember if it backs up the repos as well, but it does for packages. Save this text file onto your computer.

Restore your device, re-jailbreak, place the text file back into /var/mobile. Then run the following commands in order.

dpkg --set-selections < installed-apps.txt

apt-get dselect-upgrade

In some occasions there may be a hiccup in the txt file, in which case, you can run

apt-get --fix-missing dselect-upgrade

TL;DR: Simple way to do it is to buy PKGBackup. Free/manual way uses Terminal Commands
Best
PKGBackup
Sales Ad
Ever!!

EVER!!!!

Rik :D

They should cut me in on the sales.....
Yes they should! Maybe you need a Donate Button like the apps have lolol

"If you're satisfied with the information and advice provided by willerz2, please Donate!"

Was having some screen jumping issues. Nothing major but after "some" update or app, things like text and stuff that I would scoll up or down seem to be jumpy like it wasn't refreshing fast enough. Wanted to go ahead and do a clean wipe and re jailbreak so I bought PKGBackup.

Backed up to computer, restored to new phone, restored from backup, jailbroke, restored from PKGBackup. The screen still jumps a little so either it's just the way it is and I didn't notice it or I re-installed the same issue I already had.

My questions are: 1. Was that the correct order to restore and re-jailbreak? 2. How do I know which files to restore with PKGbackup? I would "assume" that Evasi0n7 and Cydia would install fresh copies of all the supporting files but PKGBackup seems to save them all. I restored all except the jailbreak file itself, but maybe I should do it all again and only select the apps I wanted to save?

In the list shown in the pic, the only file I actually downloaded/wanted was Asktocall. The rest are the background files.
$IMG_6669.jpg

All PKGBackup does is save the preferences for the tweaks you want. Preferences as in: the names of the tweaks and the repos they are in. So, all it's really doing is downloading the tweaks you want. That other "stuff" you see are dependencies that are loaded along with your tweaks; it's what they need to run properly.

In other words, your steps were proper and PKGBackup did its job. It saved you from reloading everything yourself (which would have resulted in the same tweaks being loaded, along with their dependencies).

Marilyn

All PKGBackup does is save the preferences for the tweaks you want. Preferences as in: the names of the tweaks and the repos they are in. So, all it's really doing is downloading the tweaks you want. That other "stuff" you see are dependencies that are loaded along with your tweaks; it's what they need to run properly.

In other words, your steps were proper and PKGBackup did its job. It saved you from reloading everything yourself (which would have resulted in the same tweaks being loaded, along with their dependencies).

Marilyn
Excellent!!

Thank you :)
Rik

Hi could someone please help! I have iPhone 4S and it is Jailbroken on 5.1.1 firmware 2.0.12. Done with Sn0w. I want to upgrade but not sure how. Do I update with iTunes? Do I use evasi0n 7? Thanks

Hi could someone please help! I have iPhone 4S and it is Jailbroken on 5.1.1 firmware 2.0.12. Done with Sn0w. I want to upgrade but not sure how. Do I update with iTunes? Do I use evasi0n 7? Thanks

I would use iTunes and upgrade to the newest release of iOS. Additionally, I would make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed. Make a backup, especially of your apps. Since you are running a very old version of iOS once you start there will be no turning back.

Restore preferably in DFU mode, but Recovery Mode will also work. As @mwhartman said, make sure you perform a backup of your device prior to proceeding as you will not be able to retrieve the data back. Afterwards, run Evasi0n7 (as an administrator if running on a Windows PC). It's fairly straightforward and requires a one-step interaction with the device, but if you need a guide, here's one.