What's new

Error 11

smooth65

Reaction score
I Have an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1. I wish to clean restore back to same firmware and re jailbreak. I keep getting error 11. I used tiny umbrella. I'm I missing something? Thanks!

so you've used either ifaith, redsn0w or whatever software to create a custom 5.0.1 ispw with the 5.0.1 shsh blob attached that you found with tinyumberella.

then you've put the phone into "dfu mode" and followed that with putting it in "pwned dfu mode" using your prefered software (redsn0w/ifaith), as the phone has to be in "pwned dfu mode" for the restore to be successful.

And finally youve opened itunes and selected your phone and after it tells you your phone is in recovery mode, yuo've shift+left clicked restore windows or alt+left click restore mac and selected the custom ispw with the shsh blobs attached you created earlier.

Have you done all this correctly?

Note, itune gives the same message about recovery mode when your phone is in "dfu mode", "pwned dfu mode" and actual "recovery mode" so don't use ths to gauge if your in "pwned dfu mode" or not.

Last edited:
Pwned mode. How do I put mv phone in that mode?

download redsn0w here windows or here mac

Open it and go to extras>pwned dfu and follow the instruction until it tells you your phone is in pwned dfu mode.

It will guide you into "dfu mode" first and then redsnow will be able to place your phone into "pwned dfu mode"

Last edited:
Thank you so much. Now once I complete these steps, I can then go to iTunes and shift restore my saved 5.0.1 firmware?

aslong as you have created a custom ispw, then yes. a custom ispw isnt just downloading the firmware version you want from apple. you have to download the version of firmware you want and then use a special software ie redsn0w or ifaith to open the firmware file you've just downladed and attach the coressponding shsh blob you found with tinyumberella to it. this will create a new firmware file and then you use itunes to restore with this new firmware file you've just created.

if you know this already then yes once you are in "pwned dfu mode" you can restore with your custom firmware file.

If your stuck heres a thread were i wrote how i do it.

Last edited:
I Have an iPhone 4 with 5.0.1. I wish to clean restore back to same firmware and re jailbreak. I keep getting error 11. I used tiny umbrella. I'm I missing something? Thanks!

Not 100% sure on the whole re-jailbreaking part, but you can just go into the settings menu on your phone and "Erase all content and settings". That puts you back to factory settings, then I assume you can re-jailbreak from there.

Not 100% sure on the whole re-jailbreaking part, but you can just go into the settings menu on your phone and "Erase all content and settings". That puts you back to factory settings, then I assume you can re-jailbreak from there.

No. This is not the method you want to do. If "erase all contents" and settings works on a jail broken device, all you will end up with at the end of the restore is a stock phone on iOS 5.1. That is not what the OP wants to do (until/unless all options have been exhausted in trying to create a custom IPSW of 5.0.1).

As of right now, iOS 5.1 is only jail breakable tethered on A4 chip devices (and not at all for the 4S). Best to try to build/use a custom IPSW for iOS 5.0.1 - cause that jail break is untethered.

Marilyn

No. This is not the method you want to do. If "erase all contents" and settings works on a jail broken device, all you will end up with at the end of the restore is a stock phone on iOS 5.1. That is not what the OP wants to do (until/unless all options have been exhausted in trying to create a custom IPSW of 5.0.1).

As of right now, iOS 5.1 is only jail breakable tethered on A4 chip devices (and not at all for the 4S). Best to try to build/use a custom IPSW for iOS 5.0.1 - cause that jail break is untethered.

Marilyn

How can it restore you to 5.1 if you don't have 5.1 yet? He's on 5.0.1 right now, wouldn't it just put him to stock 5.0.1 and he can jailbreak 5.0.1 from there?

How can it restore you to 5.1 if you don't have 5.1 yet? He's on 5.0.1 right now, wouldn't it just put him to stock 5.0.1 and he can jailbreak 5.0.1 from there?

No. That iOS version (5.0.1) is no longer the most current, Apple-approved iOS. The current version that iTunes will use if you select to restore in iTunes (without first creating a custom IPSW to point to) is iOS 5.1.

It's a confusion of the word "restore," in that people think it means "put it back the way it was." In Apple's world, restore means put it back to like-new condition, BUT with the most current, up-to-date firmware on it; which is 5.1 now.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

No. That iOS version (5.0.1) is no longer the most current, Apple-approved iOS. The current version that iTunes will use if you select to restore in iTunes (without first creating a custom IPSW to point to) is iOS 5.1.

It's a confusion of the word "restore," in that people think it means "put it back the way it was." In Apple's world, restore means put it back to like-new condition, BUT with the most current, up-to-date firmware on it; which is 5.1 now.

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

I'm not talking about a restore, I'm talking about going in to the settings on the phone itself and doing the "erase all content and settings" button.

I'm not talking about a restore, I'm talking about going in to the settings on the phone itself and doing the "erase all content and settings" button.

That will not work if you are jailbroken.

Thank y'all so much. Dang y'all some smart folks. I'll take the suggestions and advice and make this happen. I can truly learn a lot here! I love this forum

I am attempting to stitch my blobs found by tiny umbrella but it says blobs cannot be verified. Why is it saying this? Thanks