What's new

Encrypted backup

brixtonboy

Reaction score
What to do, l don't think it matters what iOS it is or which iPhone. The problem is a backup has been made to Windows 8 PC the person has forgotten the encryption code. They kept telling me they had forgotten the code, l had no idea what they were talking about. So l backups it up on mine that's when l realised. I have never used it before. They kept saying you can fix it using iCloud, well l have no idea about that. Can somebody throw some light on it. Bitte. Have a great weekend

iCloud encrypts backups automatically. So backup the iDevice to iCloud. Then erase the iPhone (Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings), and set it up as new. That should turn off encrypted backups.

I've run into this one, and it's a pain. Once you have selected "Encrypted Backup" in iTunes, you need the password in order to turn encryption off. For Mac users it's not such a big deal because the password is held in your iCloud keychain, but for Windows users it's disastrous. You cannot use iTunes again on that computer for making, or restoring, backups.

I haven't been able to check it out, but it seems to me that the complete removal of iTunes and all of its data is the only way to restore functionality. Hopefully that works, because nothing else does.

Let me stress again, as I've done in the past. DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSWORD FOR ENCRYPTED BACKUPS!

As an aside to the above, why not use a very simple password for iTunes backups? 12345 works as well as anything else, and is only used on your local computer, so you are not trying to keep the FBI out or anything like that. Keep this one simple. You don't need layer upon layer of security.

Must confess l have never used any encryption can't see the point. If you want what l have take it

Apple says the only way to turn off encrypted backups is to erase the device and set it up as new.

Must confess l have never used any encryption can't see the point. If you want what l have take it

Encryption is useful because it stores passwords and health data, which unencrypted backups do not.

Apple says the only way to turn off encrypted backups is to erase the device and set it up as new.

That doesn't help with having encryption turned on in iTunes. Once encryption is turned on in iTunes, the only way to turn it off is to supply the password originally used to encrypt the previous backup. Deselecting the option for encryption immediately requires the password to be supplied.

Encryption is useful because it stores passwords and health data, which unencrypted backups do not.

That doesn't help with having encryption turned on in iTunes. Once encryption is turned on in iTunes, the only way to turn it off is to supply the password originally used to encrypt the previous backup. Deselecting the option for encryption immediately requires the password to be supplied.
Agreed, it's useful.

That's from Apple's support site:

Turn off iTunes backup encryption
To turn off iTunes backup encryption, uncheck the Encrypted backup box in iTunes and enter the password. If you can't remember your password, you have two options:

I'm not making myself clear here.

If you intend to continue using iTunes for backing up iDevices, you MUST NOT forget the encryption password. If you forget the password, you will not be able to make further local backups and you will not be able to restore a device from the backups you have already made.

The encryption password is not specific to an iDevice. It is specific to a copy of iTunes on a specific computer. If you wish to encrypt your iPhone backup, but leave your iPad backup unencrypted, you will need to supply the password to change from encrypted to unencrypted.

I don't use encrypted backups for all my devices. I just use it for my iPhone that I pair my Apple Watches to in order to preserve the health and activity data.

I agree with Kevin about keeping your encryption password simple. If you do use a complicated encryption password a low tech approach to recover a forgotten password would be to write it down and keep it somewhere very safe like in your safety deposit box at the bank.

I keep all my passwords in a little book the old fashioned way, I keep my book underneath my laptop stand that holds my Macbook so I always know where it is and can access my passwords easily.

I'm not making myself clear here.

If you intend to continue using iTunes for backing up iDevices, you MUST NOT forget the encryption password. If you forget the password, you will not be able to make further local backups and you will not be able to restore a device from the backups you have already made.

The encryption password is not specific to an iDevice. It is specific to a copy of iTunes on a specific computer. If you wish to encrypt your iPhone backup, but leave your iPad backup unencrypted, you will need to supply the password to change from encrypted to unencrypted.
When I back up my devices to iTunes on my MacBook Pro, the summary page for each device has its own box to check if you want to encrypt the backup for that device. Yesterday I restored my iPad 3 from its latest backup and was not asked for an encryption password, just my Apple ID password to restore the iPad as I have find my iPhone activated.

When I back up my devices to iTunes on my MacBook Pro, the summary page for each device has its own box to check if you want to encrypt the backup for that device. Yesterday I restored my iPad 3 from its latest backup and was not asked for an encryption password, just my Apple ID password to restore the iPad as I have find my iPhone activated.

I'll attempt to check that out. The problem was, in my case, that the person I was attempting to help out doesn't take anything seriously. He has two iPhones and has to call his wife to find out what his AppleID is!!! To make matters worse, the computer involved is owned by the company, and the IT guy hates iTunes with a passion. I assumed that he would remember the password for the backup, but of course, he did not. I'm presently trying to persuade the owner of the company that it is necessary to have a policy on company owned phones, but even a locked up iPhone 6 which was used by an ex-employee and which is to all intents and purposes totally useless doesn't appear to be getting any attention. I'm learning new meanings for the word "frustration".

I'll attempt to check that out. The problem was, in my case, that the person I was attempting to help out doesn't take anything seriously. He has two iPhones and has to call his wife to find out what his AppleID is!!! To make matters worse, the computer involved is owned by the company, and the IT guy hates iTunes with a passion. I assumed that he would remember the password for the backup, but of course, he did not. I'm presently trying to persuade the owner of the company that it is necessary to have a policy on company owned phones, but even a locked up iPhone 6 which was used by an ex-employee and which is to all intents and purposes totally useless doesn't appear to be getting any attention. I'm learning new meanings for the word "frustration".
It's like company IT techs live in their own little dream world and anything outside that is irrelevant to them.

Company IT techs should have an open mind about everything and shouldn't let personal opinions affect the company, especially since managing a bunch of company iPhones is very difficult without using iTunes.