What's new

Encrypted backup password issue

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thought I'd better throw this information out here, after having a problem at work.

As most people know, encrypting a local backup on iTunes saves your passwords, so if you have forgotten any, it's no big deal when you come to switch your info to a new phone. Simply make a backup with the encrypted checkbox, supply a password and set up the new phone from the backup.

Here's where it gets ugly. Make SURE you don't lose or forget the password for the backup, because there is no way of turning off encryption without it. According to Apple's website, you are out of luck and that's all there is to it.

If you use a Mac and save your passwords to iCloud Keychain, it's not quite as bad but if you use Windows you're done. The computer can't be used again to backup and restore an iPhone.

So, either remember that password or don't encrypt, unless you have a good reason for doing so.

Also, if you are setting phones up for colleagues, try to impress on them the importance of remembering Apple ID passwords etc. I'm tearing my hair out trying to get it through to people that The phone can't be restored without the original AppleID.

IMO, Apple have dropped the ball big time by having no way out of the encryption issue. People often get themselves into a jam before they ask for help, and it's pretty annoying to have to tell them that they are already beyond help.

Thanks, Kevin. You've certainly stressed the importance of not forgetting your encryption password.

One very good reason to encrypt your backups is that it's the only way that health data can be backed up.