What's new

Encrypted backup

The person l was dealing with was android through and through, a wide open system in my eyes.
And yet she encrypted the backup but then forgot the code.
I tried to explain the iOS system to her but she could not take it in. Why is there no anti Virus program and so on.
I was just wasting my time. I'm not saying l love IOS but it suits me at the moment.
Anyway as a result of all the stress and nobody wanting to wait until l have time to sort out a solution.
I have been gifted an early Christmas present.
An IPhone 7 with 120 something gb's and case, not that l need it l was happy the iPhone 5s was enough.
All they want in return are 2 cases for IPhone 7plus
I can manage that I think [emoji38]

Kevin, I did some more checking up on encrypted backups with most of my iOS devices. It turns out that you were right. Turning on encrypted backups for one device turns it on for all devices using the same Apple ID.

I keep all my passwords in a little book the old fashioned way, I keep my book underneath my laptop stand that holds my Macbook so I always know where it is and can access my passwords easily.

What if someone misappropriates your laptop? They will immediately find your book of passwords!

Yes a burglar or thief would have it. I keep mine in a book rack adjacent to the computer

What if someone misappropriates your laptop? They will immediately find your book of passwords!
My MacBook never leaves the house but if it did I would separate the the book.

Kevin, I did some more checking up on encrypted backups with most of my iOS devices. It turns out that you were right. Turning on encrypted backups for one device turns it on for all devices using the same Apple ID.

In this case, I'd rather have been wrong. Thanks for checking. I guess now we can attempt to figure out how to deal with it. I suspect complete removal of iTunes is the only way.

In this case, I'd rather have been wrong. Thanks for checking. I guess now we can attempt to figure out how to deal with it. I suspect complete removal of iTunes is the only way.
And if the computer is a MacBook, you'd probably have to do a factory restore without using a Time Machine backup. That would require backing up all the content on the Mac by a means other than Time Machine, which would just re-install the encryption password as part of restoring from the Time Machine backup.
This amount of hassle points out how very, very important it is to NEVER forget your encryption password.

Last edited:
I am going through the encrypted backup problem where it will not accept my password. Before checking the Encrypt Backup, I made my password and entered it into my password app so there should be NO chance it would be forgotten.

Well I went to make an unencrypted backup and could not uncheck the Encrypt box without my password, which is not being accepted anymore. Over a week talking to apple on the phone, they said there is no way to recover the password period, end of story.

When you forget or your encrypted password or it gets scrambled for what ever reason in iTunes, you can make an encrypted backup, but never ever be able to restore it to your iPhone because you don't know the password.

The solution to a forgotten or scrambled by iTunes password is:

DFU your iPhone with the latest firmware and set up as new iPhone and you've lost all your contacts and other data.

Perform an iCloud backup, which doesn't use encrypted backup password. DFU restore the iPhone to the latest firmware (or any version that's still being signed). Then restore your iPhone via the iCloud, which should preserve your data.

Brute force the Encrypted Backup "Manifest.plist" using commercial software for $40 USD.

I'm trying to use the brute force my lost/scrambled password. Will let ya know when/if brute force works. I've tested 500 million passwords so far and still going.

If you have a Mac and use iCloud Keychain, the encryption password will be filled in automatically when restoring from an encrypted backup.

Last edited:
If you have a Mac and use iCloud Keychain, the encryption password will be filled in automatically when restoring from an encrypted backup.

Don't have a Mac or use Keychain so I was out of luck. 7 hours on the phone over 3 separate days, I was told I was nothing they could do.

I used a piece of commercial software specially made for brute forcing Encrypted Backups, and WHAM, woke many days later and it found my password. Won't say the name of the software unless a mod says it's OK to do so.

Don't have a Mac or use Keychain so I was out of luck. 7 hours on the phone over 3 separate days, I was told I was nothing they could do.

I used a piece of commercial software specially made for brute forcing Encrypted Backups, and WHAM, woke many days later and it found my password. Won't say the name of the software unless a mod says it's OK to do so.
I'm glad you finally recovered your password. I'm sure you'll take measures to make sure it won't happen again.