What's new

Downloading software version 5.1.1 on iPhone

Myron

Reaction score
I often get a message on my iPhone 3Gs about downloading software version 5.1.1 to update my iPhone. I am afraid to download as I fear that all my photos, apps, stored phone #s,etc will get deleted as the phone is updated. Won't downloading this software version delete everything or is it safe and nothing will get deleted? Please advise.

I often get a message on my iPhone 3Gs about downloading software version 5.1.1 to update my iPhone. I am afraid to download as I fear that all my photos, apps, stored phone #s,etc will get deleted as the phone is updated. Won't downloading this software version delete everything or is it safe and nothing will get deleted? Please advise.
you can download with confidence,your apps ect wont be affected so go ahead.

Yeah, really. That's why I'm still on version iOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4, which works like a charm. I've read too many horror stories of people using that despicable program called iTunes to upgrade their iOS and failed, and lost everything. Including me. Additionally, I've read HERE that upgrading to iOS 5.1 from a very old version like mine doesn't work well. WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO THINK! Who are we supposed to believe?

Note this: I've read about problems with updating many multiple iPhone apps at one time. Some have tried that, have gotten failures, and have been chastised here for for being dumb in doing so, even if Apple allows it on the Apple Store app. In other words, even though a process is "supposed" to work on your device, YOU are supposed to be smart enough to know that it might not! Thanks Apple.

Basically, the preceding paragraph illustrates that "you proceed at your own risk" with most of these Apple upgrades. Seems to me like the most "dominant" enterprise in the world could provide its users with more customer-friendly software upgrades.

First do a backup with iTunes and then continue with the firmware update and then you will be fine as your info will be held in the back up.

If prompted choose to set the iPhone up as a new phone when updating the firmware.

Then when you sync your iphone after the firmware update all your data will upload again.

I have read from 3GS users of slight lag with iOS5 firmware but it's also fair to say other 3GS users have had no issue and these talk of setting up the iPhone as a new phone when updating as your getting the cleanest install this way.

It probably won't be too long before Apple ceases these type of updates fir the iPhone 3G and 3GS so be careful not to miss out is my advice !

I am hesitant now to upgrade my 3Gs. If I decide to do so, I might lose valuable information so what are the benefits of upgrading to 5.1.1 ? Will the phone work faster after upgrading? Will I now get Apps which require iOS 5 that I am currently unable to download?