What's new

Do I really need screen protector?

Thank you skull for disproving all those YouTube videos. I watched one whee they were barely gliding a knife over the screen and saying "nope, no scratches". Well duh, you aren't putting any effort into it.

It's the slow grinding that gets you, not the fast glances.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Thank you skull for disproving all those YouTube videos. I watched one whee they were barely gliding a knife over the screen and saying "nope, no scratches". Well duh, you aren't putting any effort into it.

It's the slow grinding that gets you, not the fast glances.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Exactly. You need to apply enough force to penetrate the potassium ion bond and that requires a slow constant force.

Skull One said:
Exactly. You need to apply enough force to penetrate the potassium ion bond and that requires a slow constant force.

Now I was not arguing at all that gorilla glass is scratch proof. Nothing is! It's only a matter of what ordinary wear and tear will do.

One exception I take is the implication that having a flimsy screen protector on the screen will prevent a scratch from falling on keys in your pocket with the phone. The amount of force is such that I cannot believe that the screen protector will absorb more than a tiny fraction of the force necessary to scratch the screen.

Even a layer of fingerprints will do that, only question is how much will it help vs a screen protector.

Now I was not arguing at all that gorilla glass is scratch proof. Nothing is! It's only a matter of what ordinary wear and tear will do.

One exception I take is the implication that having a flimsy screen protector on the screen will prevent a scratch from falling on keys in your pocket with the phone. The amount of force is such that I cannot believe that the screen protector will absorb more than a tiny fraction of the force necessary to scratch the screen.

Even a layer of fingerprints will do that, only question is how much will it help vs a screen protector.

And that is exactly why I want you to do some research on how things work. Because as the key comes in contact with the screen protector it goes into a compressed state. At this point there are three possible outcomes.

Failure and the protector tears. But in its failure it has changed several factors in the equation. It has dissipated part of the force and could or has changed the deflection angle which in turn changes the speed of the distance being travelled. IE the Gorilla glass now has a better chance to survive.

The protector slides without tearing. A good outcome due to the angle of attack being changed which causes faster movement which then favors the Gorilla glass' design. And the protector is now acting as buffer to the direct edge which changes the ability for that edge to catch on a potassium ion.

Success because the compression doesn't allow the edge to make contact with the potassium ions.

BTW the high end protectors use the same material as the military uses on the leading edge of helicopter blades for protection. Look it up, it is pretty slick on why and how they do it.

Brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to show some facts as opposed to just arguing your opinion. Much appreciated.

Still why no simplify by not putting keys in pocket with iPhone! It's not that hard. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

That covers one issue out of possibly thousands.

I've always been amused by the uTube videos showing gorilla glass assets. I liken it to any movie that you may have seen where somebody throws a punch at another actor's face and decks him. Do you really think they hit the guy? LOL! I'll take a razor sharp knife and show you a video of me slashing away at a stick of butter and make you believe the butter is hard enough to resist the knife's edge from even scratching it! Yea, the eyes can be fooled.

How many of you have seen the movie Avatar? A combination of (mostly) digital magic but also some plain old "foolery"... I rest my case.

Skull - you are my hero! :) Seriously, you do go the distance and there is just no disputing you are the real deal.. :)

Tomorrow I open my Zagg package containing their HD screen protector and finally apply it after having taken delivery over a week ago.. ;)

mike

Here's what I use... iVisor by Moshi.

View attachment 9107
i decided to get this,i got the clear one and i have to say this is a brilliant screen protector(wish i had seen it before i wasted £10 on one that was far inferior)anyway,its a perfect fit and the clear one doesn't spoil the look of the beautiful screen at all,in fact if it wasn't for the cut out you wouldn't know it was there at all,really happy with it.

Last edited:
Poisonivy said:
i decided to get this,i got the clear one and i have to say this is a brilliant screen protector(wish i had seen it before i wasted £10 on one that was far inferior)anyway,its a perfect fit and the clear one doesn't spoil the look of the beautiful screen at all,in fact if it wasn't for the cut out you wouldn't know it was there at all,really happy with it.

Any chance of a photo of it in place? I'd like to see the difference between the naked version.

BTW, great discussion here with a big thanks to Skull for a great presentation of the facts.

The Archangel

Any chance of a photo of it in place? I'd like to see the difference between the naked version.

BTW, great discussion here with a big thanks to Skull for a great presentation of the facts.

The Archangel
yes i'll put one on shortly.

$IMG_0539.jpg$IMG_0538.jpghere you are Gabe.....as you see you only have the cut out at the top,everything else is covered.