What's new

Do I really need screen protector?

cuskit said:
Being a tradesman (I own and run a custom woodworking shop) I find it imperative to have a screen protector. Rare is the day I don't have glue, stain, paint, contact cement, wood filler, varnish, lacquer or some kind of chemical on my hands. While most (if not all) are easily cleaned off the glass - it's much more comforting to know I don't need to introduce any harsh cleansers (thinners, solvents, etc) to my phone. Okay for the glass, but I'm more worried some might penetrate through the volume buttons, on/off switch, etc. Same with my case - it has a lipped edge around the front bezel, so if I should slide it across any surface with the face down - I don't need to worry that I'll scratch either the glass or the screen protector - the raised edge of the cover is just enough to raise the phone up off the glass face (note to poster with the sugar scratches)..

While I have purchased the 3-pak standard protectors from VZW - I did get the Zagg HD protector. But, as usual, I've been procrastinating and have yet to install it. They claim it goes a long way to helping preventing the glass from breaking should the phone be dropped. Not sure if theirs offer anymore protection than the standard 3-pak versions. I have in the past purchased the "el-cheapos" from eBay - but found they release much too easily around the edges and within days are beginning to peel up. Not so with the VZW 3-pak, but I can never seem to install those without a couple of bubbles that never seem to work their way out to the edges - despite all the "squeegying (is that a word?) I have fruitlessly tried. :( On my old Droid - no big deal. But on the beautiful and professionally looking iPhone5 it just detracts from the beauty too much. Hoping the "wet" installation of the Zagg helps prevent these tiny bubbles...

I went to Cumberland Mall yesterday and went to the Apple Store in front of the store there was a vendor that put on full body screen protectors front, back and sides for 35.00 with life time guarantee. The type they put on helicopter blades. I've put them on my iPhone 4 and loved them but I was Leary about putting one on my new iPhone 5 so I paid them to do it.
They have shows on uTube about how hard it is to scratch the screen on the new iPhones. I talked to a gentleman at apple and was told the glass on the new iPhone 5 is Gorilla Glass with a special coating on it to help prevent scratches. But what I like is it protects the whole phone and it has a better feel to it. It doesn't slip out of your hand it's like a thin rubber coating on it. Plus it doesn't show finger prints near as easy. I'm glad I bought it. It even self heals. On my iPhone 4 I had it in my pocket and put my keys in the same pocket by mistake it let some lines on the protector but the next day they were gone. I figure 35.00 for my 400.00 phone is well worth it and with the life time warrantee I can't go wrong. Well worth the investment.

I've a screen protector for every phone i've had. I recommend the hard protective cases. The clear screen protectors only keep your screen from scratching. I had one of them and my screen still broke when I dropped it, not to mention all the bubbles that continued to pop up on my screen.

Last edited:
Not yet. It shipped out of Cali yesterday. Hard to tell when it's going to get half way across the states to Wisconsin. I'll be sure to let you know what I think when I get it. I'm hoping before the weekend but FedEx has been known to hold early packages around here until the exact ship date.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Did you get the XT or AG one? They scratch pretty easy just a fyi. The fitment is beyond perfect though.

i got the XT.

Moshi is good brand just scratches pretty easy and it will show a rainbow square in the middle of screen. The rainbow square is only seen when screen is off. Fitment is perfect just takes a couple of times to get it exact. I'm also a perfectionist so it took a few times to get every single dust particles out from under it.

yes i noticed the rainbow effect,don't mind that though,i really like it so if it gets too scratched up i'll buy another,i think it's worth it for the great fit.

ok,hope it comes soon.

Got it today. Have had it on for about a half hour. Love how easy it was to install. First try and it went right into place. Response feels great. Air bubbles all gone.

Couple things I noticed, there was some extra adhesive on the protector that I cleaned off right away. The screen is a lint magnet, I'm guessing because its a static cling type application.

Other than that, so far I'm loving it.

Got it today. Have had it on for about a half hour. Love how easy it was to install. First try and it went right into place. Response feels great. Air bubbles all gone.

Couple things I noticed, there was some extra adhesive on the protector that I cleaned off right away. The screen is a lint magnet, I'm guessing because its a static cling type application.

Other than that, so far I'm loving it.

glad you like it,im not noticing the lint thing myself,i find it really good as regards smears and finger prints,as you say really easy to put on,i'm really happy with mine.

glad you like it,im not noticing the lint thing myself,i find it really good as regards smears and finger prints,as you say really easy to put on,i'm really happy with mine.

It's seeming to get better as the night goes on here.

I have always had fantastic luck with the screen protectors from ScreenGuardz over the years. Not only do they protect against scratches there are other benefits as mentioned earlier in this thread. The anti-glare is quite a blessing in bright environments and it's also less prone to fingerprints. I recently came across a website selling them for $2.34 for a pack of 2, so I bought 4. :) I initially used the ones from Best Buy (I forgot which one) but it was quite sticky when running my fingers across so I found them annoying. I usually recommend ScreenGuardz to all my friends so I figured I would mention it here too. Here's the ScreenGuardz link for the iPhone5...

ScreenGuardz - iPhone5

I've also had luck with the following company and their buffing agents to take out any scratches on the touch screen panel, so you might give them a whirl as well...

TDI-LLC Technology - Glass, Acrylic, and Gorilla Glass Compounds

Hope this helps!

I just installed my $10 Zagg screen shield I ordered off amazon. It's kind of grainy looking. I've never had that before! I also don't like the coverage. I am a little OCD and it took me awhile to get this perfectly placed. The upper portion that surrounds the camera and ear speaker isn't centered.

~iPhoneMommy~

Sent from my Black, 16GB, iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

I have been using smart phones since 2008. I've never used a screen protector and have never had any problems.

I feel that screen protectors give a user a false sense of security in that the user can treat the device with less care and be safe from damage. I treat my devices as If they were jewel-encrusted gold and my "babies" have never encountered damage.

I just installed my $10 Zagg screen shield I ordered off amazon. It's kind of grainy looking. I've never had that before! I also don't like the coverage. I am a little OCD and it took me awhile to get this perfectly placed. The upper portion that surrounds the camera and ear speaker isn't centered.

~iPhoneMommy~

The holes are both too long to the left hand side of the phone. The reason for this is due to the two sensors that are placed there. They are not visible on the black iPhones but one can be seen on the white version.

The sensor to the left of the forward facing camera is the light sensor for auto adjusting the screen brightness. To the left of the speaker is infrared proximity sensor for detecting if your face is next to the phone. For both to operate at the maximum efficiency you do not want your screen protector over them. So technically both holes are truly centered.

Crap I hope I didn't cover them LoL. And no I can't see them :)

~iPhoneMommy~