Reaction score
SOLVED. SEE LAST POST

Pwned DFU just reboots...

iPhone:
3GS 32GB
iTunes: 10.6.3.25
iOS: Unknown
Baseband: Unknown
iPhone State: Asks for wireless network, then says it can't contact apple for activation.
Skill level: iPhone noob, general geek; I know how to DFU (see below)
Goal: Jailbreak!

SnowBreeze
I created a custom firmware with using an original 5.1.1 IPSW (downloaded from the apple site via this forum)

Absinthe
I tried this but it says the phone must be activated first. It seems like custom firmware is the way to go. (SnowBreeze is my only option? [Windows Only])

Pwned DFU mode just reboots
When iREB-r5 or SnowBreeze try put the phone in "Pwned DFU Mode" the phone just reboots.
When I try iREB-r5 to get "Pwned DFU State" it says "Searching for DFU... Exploiting with LimeRa1n... The phone should be in Pwned DFU state 'blank screen' " (phone reboots, I've tried many times)
Googling shows other people are having the same "reboot instead of Pwned DFU" problem as me.

Questions
  • Can I just put the phone in DFU mode and load the custom firmware (without "Pwned DFU mode") ?
  • When they say Shift Click Restore, do they mean hold the shift button on the computer's keyboard before I click restore?
  • Do they mean the restore button that iTunes shows in the main display area?
  • Backup Blobs? There is nothing on the phone I want to keep. Should I back something up to downgrade? Would I need it?

==========================================

EDIT3
Using USBDeview I get the following in DFU Mode
-------------------------------------------------
Description: Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver
VendorID: 05ac
ProductID: 1227
USB Class: fe
USB SubClass: 01
USB Protocol: 02
------------------------------------------------
Device Name: Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode)
Description: Apple Recovery (iBoot) USB Driver
Device Type: Unknown
Serial Number: CPID:(whole lot of numbers)
ProductID: 1281
--------------------------------------------------

EDIT4
Okay I've just tried out RedSnow 0.9.14b2
It has identified the phone: iPhone 3GS (5.0.1 06.15.00)

I tried running RedSnow with only the option "Install Cydia" ticked.
It asked me to put the phone in DFU, I did.
Then it said exploiting with limera1n, and the phone rebooted.

EDIT5
I read somewhere if you keep holding the Home button in DFU mode it won't reboot when you do the limera1n exploit. My phone still rebooted when doing the exploit.

USB
I'm not using a hub. I've tried 2 different USB ports on my computer.
The only unusual thing is I'm trying all of this in a XP virtual machine in VMWare. (I like to keep my computer clean)

Last edited:
I would use snowbreeze. If you are having trouble putting phone into DFU then you could try using redsn0w's dfuipsw. it puts your phone in a DFU state. Then you can use your custom 5.1.1 firmware. The shift restore does infact mean to press and hold the shift button on your keyboard while clicking the restore button. It will then give you the option of selecting your custom ipsw file. Back up blobs are your shsh blobs. use tiny umbrella to back these up. They are useful when downgrading to a firmware that apple no longer signs. "The only unusual thing is I'm trying all of this in a XP virtual machine in VMWare" I have never used the windows virtual machine to run a jailbreak, so idk if thats why you are having trouble or not. Perhaps someone else on these forums have experience with this and can shed some light.

Okay I re-tried the process on a XP laptop, worked perfectly.
I guess you can't get into Pwned DFU mode from a virtual machine within VMWare.