What's new

Copying all of my iPhone 4 data and settings to my iPad 2

jmt356

Reaction score
I created a backup of my iPhone 4 this morning. I then disconnected my iPhone 4 and connected my iPad mini 2 and clicked on Restore Backup. I selected the iPhone backup that I created this morning and continued. iTunes said that some of my settings were not compatible with my iPad and I continued. After the Restore, I checked my iPad and none of my iPhone’s contacts, calendar appointments, apps, etc., were on my iPad. What did I do wrong? Am I supposed to sync rather than restore a backup?

It should be possible to restore your iPad from an iPhone backup. Some of the apps might not be available for the iPad and won't install, though.

Your iPad has to be running the same or a later iOS than the one that was used to create the backup on your iPhone.

If you don't use the same ID for iTunes & App Store and iCloud, you'll have to set up iCloud first to be able to restore from that backup. Otherwise your settings won't appear on the iPad.

Last edited:
I set up iCloud. Now what do I do?

Did you enter your iCloud email address when you set up the iPad? You can't restore from the iCloud backup when you install the ID after setting it up. You'd have to erase all content and settings and then start all over again.

I entered my iCloud email address when I set up my iPad. But now that I think of it, I do not believe I have an iCloud account. I have an account with the iTunes Store and App Store but I do not believe I have an account with iCloud. How can I be sure?

Also, how do I back up my iPhone to iCloud? In iTunes, under Backups, I get two options:
- Automatically Back Up, with the sub-options "iCloud" and "This computer"; and
- Manually Back Up, which only allows backing up "to this computer," with options to "Back Up Now" and "Restore Backup ..."
Under Automatically Back Up, when I select the radio button next to "iCloud," nothing happened. I then tried to Sync my iPhone with the radio button next to "iCloud," but it appears this only caused my phone to sync with my computer; it did not create a backup to iCloud.

Sorry, I assumed you were backing up to iCloud.

I don't know if it's possible to restore from an iPhone backup in iTunes.

Here's how it will work with an iCloud backup:

To create a backup to iCloud:
On your iPhone, go to Settings - iCloud - Backup and tap "Back up now". If you do this for the first time, this will need quite some time.

After the iPhone has finished backing up, go to the iPad. Open Settings - General - Reset - Erase all Content and Settings. This will set back your device to factory settings, and you're able to start all over again. When you're asked to login, and you don't know your iCloud address, you supposedly use the same ID for App Store and iCloud. Enter it, and afterwards you'll be able to restore from the backup you just made on your iPhone.

I found information that might be important for you:

Only app data from App Store apps and sync settings will be restored to your device when you:

• Restore your iPad from an iPhone or iPod touch backup.
  • Restore your iPhone or iPod touch from an iPad backup.
(Apple Support)
This applies for restoring from backups created in iTunes. If you want the calendar entries and other information from the iPhone on your iPad, use an iCloud backup to restore it. Don't connect it to iTunes.

Last edited:
I followed the instructions in post #6. However, when after I reset my iPad and erased all content and settings, I was not asked to log in. I was taken through the entire set up process, where I set the language, region, etc. Can I skip through all of this?

I followed the instructions in post #6. However, when after I reset my iPad and erased all content and settings, I was not asked to log in. I was taken through the entire set up process, where I set the language, region, etc. Can I skip through all of this?
I'm afraid not. You have to complete every step just like when you first set up the ipad when it was brand new.

I completed the Restore and all of the Apps from my iPhone are now downloaded to my iPad. However, my Contacts, Calendar appointments and other data did not.

Based on Post #7, I though that restoring via iCloud would get all the calendar entries and other information from my iPhone to my iPad.

Sorry, my bad!

If you use iCloud for your Calendar, this will be synced between devices, as soon as the account is set up. iCloud calendar and contacts are not included in a backup. To get them to the iPad, make sure they are enabled in Settings - iCloud.

Do you use a different account for calendar events and contacts?

Last edited: