What's new

Data lost during upgrade; please help

suszuop

Reaction score
After getting reassurances from both Verizon and Apple that a backup will be automatically created, I went ahead and upgraded iOS to the latest version, which subsequently wiped out the data from my iphone. The last known update happened on 02-14. I downloaded a trial version iphone backup extractor and the program was able to detect a backup from 3-17. Not knowing what to do next, I took it into the Apple store and they couldn't find this backup. They were able to restore the phone from 2-14 backup, however, it didn't yield any data. I know the backup from 3-17 is somewhere, but I don't know where. Someone please help me. My life was on that phone. Thank you.

If you have a backup made on your computer somewhere, it should be on your PC, accessible through iTunes. Or, if it's backed up through iCloud, you can restore using that. If there isn't a softcopy of the backup on your PC or anywhere else, you won't be able to get that data back.

but i don't understand how the program was able to detect a backup from 3/17 at 11pm, which was around the time i updated the ios version on my phone yet the technicians at the apple store couldn't locate it. and now my phone keeps turning off and not charging.

Because you were running it on your PC and your backup wasn't made to iCloud, it was saved locally. Unless you brought your laptop to the Apple Store and had a rep shuffle through your laptop, they won't know whether or not you've made backups at all. They can only see the backups on iCloud, not on your PC.