What's new

Considering giving up unlimited data plan.. advice requested!

Ericskooky

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I had a brilliant (or stupid) idea and I was really hoping to get some feedback on it from the geniuses from this site. Here's my situation:

Right now I'm on an old family plan consisting of 2 iPhone 5s' and 2 basic phones. Only 1 iPhone 5s has unlimited data and we hardly use any of it. If I switch to one of Verizon's new plans, I'd save roughly $30 to $45 a month depending on data size. Seems obvious to me. Here's where it gets complicated.

We want to eventually upgrade our 2 5s' to 6s'. If we buy the 6s phones after we switch plans, we pay full price for the phones upfront or spread it out monthly. However, and a Verizon rep confirmed this for me, if we buy the phones on our old plan, we pay the upgrade rate of $299 per phone (for 64GB) which puts us under new 2 year contracts. But once we have the phones, we can immediately switch to the new plan, eliminating all contracts and giving us the phones at a MUCH cheaper price. I mean, this is a no-brainer, right? $299 instead of $799? I would be stupid to pass that up. If I'm wrong, by all means, someone please correct me.

So then I was thinking about my 2 basic phones. We will always be keeping those as basic and never switching to smartphones. What if I upgrade both of those to a 6s as well.. but then reactivate the basic phones and just sell the 6s'? Wouldn't I be making hundreds of dollars? It sounds like an opportunity too good to pass up. Also, I've never sold a phone before, what would be the easiest and smartest way of doing it?

If anyone has any advice, comments, suggestions, anything at all, I'd really like to hear it as this is new territory for me. Thanks in advance!