What's new

Verizon Unlimited Data Plan...Adios

you have Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data plan, you'll be able to keep it after July 7.
You'll also be able to keep the $29.99 unlimited plan when you upgrade to a new phone.
If you add a line to an existing account, you'll not be able to chose the $29.99 unlimited data plan.
If you're a new customer between now and July 7, you'll still be able to choose the $29.99 plan. I just copied this from verizons web site

Very glad I found out about this in time. I switched from Sprint to VZ/iPhone 4 in time for unlimited data ;) Keep in mind that for tethering (which is something I am highly dependent on as I have no other broadband at home unless I went satellite), there's a 2gb cap at $20/month; anything over 2gb is charged at another $20 for 2 more gb. Analyzing my recent Sprint usage, I generally come in under 2gb (and that included all data, not just tethering), so I am OK.

Has anyone seen or heard anything on a Family Share Plan for data on Verizon?

You won't keep the plan with any iPhone upgrades because the limits etc are set by Apple. This means they can't offer you unlimited if you had unlimited before because Apple says so! To me it's all hog wash! I upgraded to iPhone 4 with as much data I can handle I can also tether it and it's unlimited with no fair usage. Only AT&T doing this is 3 all other AT&T's want you to pay a mortgage to provide that service! Iphone5 you'll have to pay high upfront prices for the phone anyway so if I was you I'd wait until 5 comes out then upgrade to 4 for free!

What does it matter if you cant get unlimited? I remember I had this very same problem a few years ago. This was before I even got unlimited data but Verizon tried to say that just about everything I did was data. Pic messages, my friend sent me a ringtone he found, whatever. I went in and they said 4G phones take up alot of data. To me that sounds like a few things.

- You suck it up and deal with it, getting the iPhone 4 or 5
- You raise a big stink about it and hope they keep you with your unlimited plan
- You stick with your old phone and your unlimited plan
- You leave Verizon altogether

The first option is what I think many are going to have to do. Many will try the second, Im not sure how that will pan out. The third a few might do as well. The fourth really isnt an option unless youre going to Boost or Cricket because from what I hear everyone is charging for data now. Seeing as how this is an iPhone forum it could be assumed that many here either have, want or at least have interest in said phone which, to my knowledge, is not available on any of those carriers. It puts the consumer in a rather tricky position. Im hearing many things from both sides. I see this post where its been read on the Verizon site that people can keep the unlimited plan even if they upgrade.

you have Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data plan, you'll be able to keep it after July 7.
You'll also be able to keep the $29.99 unlimited plan when you upgrade to a new phone.
If you add a line to an existing account, you'll not be able to chose the $29.99 unlimited data plan.
If you're a new customer between now and July 7, you'll still be able to choose the $29.99 plan. I just copied this from verizons web site

Thatd be this post here. I just went to the site and the best I got is this:
smartphone_data_package_mini.gif
Data Packages

(You must select an option below)
Why do I need data? How much do I need?

12GB Data Bundle with Personal Email & Mobile Hotspot $100.00/month
10GB Data Bundle with Personal Email $80.00/month
7GB Data Bundle with Personal Email & Mobile Hotspot $70.00/month
4GB Data Bundle with Personal Email & Mobile Hotspot $50.00/month
5GB Data Bundle with Personal Email $50.00/month
2GB Data Bundle with Personal Email $30.00/month
Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email) $29.99/month
This is a quick copy-paste off the site. I just filled everything out as if I were about to upgrade to an iPhone, this is the 'Select Features' screen. Im not sure if that means I get to keep unlimited or not but things are looking good. However, go to a store and they paint an entirely different picture. Again, I dont think anyone will find out until they upgrade.

I think it's because so many people are using these phones like pocket macbooks and the mass of data traveling is getting to be King Kong. We all know someone who has a perfectly good laptop and/or an ipad where they can and should be using the big data apps and such but it's so cool to do it on your phone so the network gets clogged and basics like MMS and SMS are delayed between customers. This is only my thought but I think I'm pretty spot on. (posted from my laptop, not the phone)

I use both a laptop and a phone and as long as I have to pay good $$ on these wireless phone bills I will use the phone as much as I can.

I went into my VW account and started the upgrade process online. My unlimited data plan carried over from a BlackBerry to an I4. Switching hardware manufactures didn't matter. I didn't order the phone but the unlimited plan carried over to the checkout phase fyi.

I'm patiently waiting for the specs on the I5 before I make the switch. :D

Hope this helps.

Let us know if it holds up when you actually complete the transaction. I'd be very interested.

Completing the transaction won't be anytime soon for me until I have confirmation on the I5 specs. I went back through and started the upgrade process again. After I choose the Iphone 4 the next screen is the plan modifications. All of the data tiers are listed but defaults on the unlimited plan. The unlimited plan carries over literally to the point it lets me place the order. Unless the order submission screen flags the unlimited plan, which could be possible but not likely IMO, it looks like it's good to go. You would think the system would have not even offered me the unlimited plan by default or even an option if changing manufactures voided the unlimited plan..but you never know until the transaction is completed.

Completing the transaction won't be anytime soon for me until I have confirmation on the I5 specs. I went back through and started the upgrade process again. After I choose the Iphone 4 the next screen is the plan modifications. All of the data tiers are listed but defaults on the unlimited plan. The unlimited plan carries over literally to the point it lets me place the order. Unless the order submission screen flags the unlimited plan, which could be possible but not likely IMO, it looks like it's good to go. You would think the system would have not even offered me the unlimited plan by default or even an option if changing manufactures voided the unlimited plan..but you never know until the transaction is completed.

Agreed. I'd love to hear that the unlimited plan really carries through.

Just went to Best Buy and picked up a 32g Iphone 4. I just couldn't wait anymore and needed a phone. The unlimited plan did carry over from blackberry to the iphone. I double checked my verizon account when I returned home to verify. Unlimited plan grandfathered over with no issues.

JRoCc said:
Just went to Best Buy and picked up a 32g Iphone 4. I just couldn't wait anymore and needed a phone. The unlimited plan did carry over from blackberry to the iphone. I double checked my verizon account when I returned home to verify. Unlimited plan grandfathered over with no issues.

Yeah the tiered plan is only for new customers. How do you feel about putting that bb down?

I feel great...It was only a matter of time. I was waiting for the iphone to come to verizon and then wanted to wait a little longer to get the i5 but couldn't wait any longer. :)