What's new

Complicated issue

riv3r

Reaction score
I have an iphone 4 iOS4.0.0. baseband 01.59.00. I bought it from someone when he was still on a 2 year contract with ATT. He sold it to me with a software unlock included and the phone has stayed at 4.0 and not upgraded since. Now I really need to upgrade it because most apps require something more recent than 4.0. I was thinking iOS6 but the jailbreak is not out yet.. SO...... the question:

Can I upgrade it now to 5.1.1 while preserving baseband so I can software unlock the phone?

I do have SHSH for 5.1.1
and i know for me to preserve baseband i need a custom ispw but for 5.1.1 i also need a custom ispw.. so what do I do?

Before we go any further... there is a JB for 6.0.1 on the iP4. It's Tethered however. Is that not an option?

It will be an option if I am able to software unlock it. So can I?

Nice, if you will be kind enough to provide a link to the 6.0.1 jailbreak? Thanks! Also, I'm curious if the there is a solution for the 5.1.1 jailbreak and unlock.. just want to know if it works.. coz it is untethered and thus more preferable

Download redsn0w v. 0.9.15b3 here... Dev-Team Blog
Download your 6.0.1 IPSW here... http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/041-7950.20121101.Lmr45/iPhone3,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw
Step by step here... iClarified - iPhone - How to Upgrade Your iPhone 4, 3GS Without Updating the Baseband (Windows)

The only differences you'll encounted w/ the Step by step is....
1) you're using redsn0w 0.9.15b3 instead of b1,
2) you're using the 6.0.1 ISPW instead of 5.1.1... doesn't matter since the process is the same.

Just be certain you have all important information from your iPhone manually saved somewhere for Syncing later... since you will not be restoring from an iTunes backup.

Nice, if you will be kind enough to provide a link to the 6.0.1 jailbreak? Thanks! Also, I'm curious if the there is a solution for the 5.1.1 jailbreak and unlock.. just want to know if it works.. coz it is untethered and thus more preferable
You can go to 5.1.1 if you'd like... it just requires the extra step of stitching the SHSH's you have for your specific iPhone to the 5.1.1 IPSW file.

Download redsn0w v. 0.9.15b3 here... Dev-Team Blog
Download your 6.0.1 IPSW here... http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6/041-7950.20121101.Lmr45/iPhone3,1_6.0.1_10A523_Restore.ipsw
Step by step here... iClarified - iPhone - How to Upgrade Your iPhone 4, 3GS Without Updating the Baseband (Windows)

The only differences you'll encounted w/ the Step by step is....
1) you're using redsn0w 0.9.15b3 instead of b1,
2) you're using the 6.0.1 ISPW instead of 5.1.1... doesn't matter since the process is the same.

Just be certain you have all important information from your iPhone manually saved somewhere for Syncing later... since you will not be restoring from an iTunes backup.
This process is only for updating to 6.0.1 (or whichever iOS version you choose.) You'll need to go through the standard redsn0w process again for Jailbreaking purposes.

Just to throw it out there, you might experience some problems with signal and such on the 01.59.00 baseband since it is indeed an old baseband. But hell, half the time we don't even make calls and we have iMessage, so it doesn't really matter. Make sure you apply the UltraSn0w iOS 6 fixer from Cydia and that you have the proper APN settings for certain carriers

Just to throw it out there, you might experience some problems with signal and such on the 01.59.00 baseband since it is indeed an old baseband. But hell, half the time we don't even make calls and we have iMessage, so it doesn't really matter. Make sure you apply the UltraSn0w iOS 6 fixer from Cydia and that you have the proper APN settings for certain carriers

Willerz.... does the ultrasn0w fixer come from a native Cydia repo or is there one we have to add?

It comes with the UltraSn0w repo. IIRC it's literally right under the UltraSn0w tweak itself when you open up the UltraSn0w repo for the list of stuff it has.