What's new

Cant update or restore, no untethered reboot

Devaaiah

Reaction score
Hi all . . .

Bought a new unlocked iphone 4 last week. It was on firmware 4.3.0 (Build 8F190) . Hooked it up to itunes on windows (64 bit) . Did the initial setup . then i decided to update it to 4.3.3 using itunes . clicked update . was on "Preparing iPhone for software update" when the iphone got stuck on the restore screen (usb+itunes logo). Itunes gave me some error. (i forget which).

Then tried doing a forced restart of the phone but didnt work. The iphone would start up and show the same restore screen. Itunes would not detect the phone. (Didnt know about DFU/Recovery mode at the time so didnt try that). I then used redsn0w(rc16) with firmware 4.3.0 to jailbreak it after putting it in DFU mode (from the redsn0w instructions). Phone started up fine and worked perfectly. Phone was jailbroken with 4.3.0 (Build 8F190). However, i am unable to do a untethered reboot. anytime i reboot, the phone gets stuck on the apple logo. tethered reboots work perfectly.

So now , i want to either :
1- Get the phone to reboot untethered in 4.3.0.
2- Update the phone to 4.3.3 and then jailbreak again so that i can do untethered reboots.

any attempt to update/restore in itunes directly gives me an error and my phone gets stuck in restore screen. In DFU/restore mode , iTunes does not detect the phone although tinyumbrella does.

Any help will be MUCH appreciated.

D

Update your itunes first, reboot your conputer and try upgrading your iOS to 4.3.3 again. If itunes show an error message, report here so that we know what that error means.

Updated itunes , restarted , disabled firewall/antivirus . . . . update proces starts , but still ends at the "preparing phone for update" phase . . . with error 3194.

I did the whole hosts file thing . tried WITH and WITHOUT the last line for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gs.apple.com. Still no luck .

4.3 can not be untethred. You need to get it onto 4.3.3. First get your phone into DFU mode. Then the trick will be to get iTunes to recognise it. Switch the USB port you are using to connect your iPhone. Make sure you give windows enough time to recognise the device and install the drivers. This can take up to a minute when you switch ports. If TU sees the phone then iTunes must too...
Once iTunes sees the iPhone in DFU mode, restore a clean 4.3.3 firmware, then rejailbreak using redsn0w and make sure you use the 4.3.3 firmware, NOT 4.3.

If you are getting 3194 error, you MUST remove all references to gs.apple.com from your hosts file. Make sure you remove them ALL. That will solve 3194.

Hope that helps.