What's new

iPhone 3Gs will not recover/restore or come out of recover loop

mscott00

Reaction score
I installed iTunes on my laptop and hooked up my phone and went to update to latest version (without thinking). the phone has been Jailrbroken and was working fine until this (Havent used it in a few months, just replaced LCD). When it tried to do the update to 6, it froze the phone and gave an error.

I realized it wasn't something I should have done and now I CANNOT get it to restore, reboot, recover ETC. I have tried almost everything under the sun that I can find on the internet and it just keeps freezing on reboot or stuck in the recover loop.

TinyUmbrella cannot get it out of the recover loop, the screen lights up white and freezes, minutes later it shows the USB cord to iTunes.

I tried to restore to 5.0.1 using the IPSW file through iTunes (after pwned DFU was turned on) and iTunes gives an error 1602

I tried to restore to 4.1 through iTunes same way, and got the same error.

I've tried turning on and off the TSS server on tiny umbrella, and they all freeze the phone. I'm sure there are more methods that I've tried - but I need some answers and suggestions on what to do.

ANY help, please, would be greatly appreciated!

I've done this a few times and still get an error 1601 through iTunes. I read about the SHSH file, and was able to find my SHSH from 4.1

I even tried running tiny umbrella hosting my 4.1 SHSH and updating through iTunes with same effect, phone freezes with white screen and iTunes throws up an error.

160X errors are driver issues. Reinstall your USB drivers and reinstall iTunes. If that doesn't work, you'll need another computer.

Ugh, What a frustration this has been. I used a friends laptop - and after 3 hours of trying and re-trying it finally recovered it back to 4.1, the only problem is now it wont hook up signal to T-mobile when my sim is in, and it says No Wifi in the settings. Any ideas on what I need to do now? I don't recall it being this difficult when I originally jailbroke the phone a year ago. Thanks for the support so far!

None of the iPhone 3GS's natively support T-Mobile. You have to unlock the device first before you can use it with T-Mobile. Your options for the 3GS are:
  • IMEI/carrier unlock
  • UltraSn0w software unlock

Last edited:
UltraSn0w - thats what I did last time.. Its all coming back to me now.. Thanks!

Jailbreak it and UltraSn0w it. Personally, I'd give the iOS 6.1.2 upgrade another try before settling on iOS 4.

Well I've taken what you suggested and ran around looking and reading the best ways to upgrade to 6.1.2, which I have successfully done, but now cannot get ultrasn0w to work with the new ios, I've read a few things/ways to try and none of them have worked. Problem is I dont have WiFi on the phone so I'm having to download the debian files and try to install them through ifunbox and rebooting phone. Anyone found a successful way to use ultrasn0w on 6.1.2.