What's new

Can't Reboot Tethered JB

jschlis

Reaction score
I had no choice due to circumstances but to upgrade to 5.1. The only way to JB was to have a tethered JB. Well now every time I need to reboot I constantly have the same issue. I shut the phone, connect the phone to my pc and it constantly cycles. It shows the spinning wheel, asks me to enter my password and without doing anything it cycles back to the wheel and then back to the password prompt. Have very few jb apps but sometimes there is a need to reboot. I only bought the phone to use jailbroken but this is very frustrating. Here I am again restoring to factory settings and then rejailbreaking. Am I doing something wrong when I attempt to jb? I tried downgrading with tb but had many problems even with the blobs saved.

Im in same boat made mistake of upgrading when i had to restore and have to boot tethered. What did u use to jailbreak. And what have you installed app wise or tweaks and if any are ipas they will cause ur phone to be unstable.

jschlis said:
I had no choice due to circumstances but to upgrade to 5.1. The only way to JB was to have a tethered JB. Well now every time I need to reboot I constantly have the same issue. I shut the phone, connect the phone to my pc and it constantly cycles. It shows the spinning wheel, asks me to enter my password and without doing anything it cycles back to the wheel and then back to the password prompt. Have very few jb apps but sometimes there is a need to reboot. I only bought the phone to use jailbroken but this is very frustrating. Here I am again restoring to factory settings and then rejailbreaking. Am I doing something wrong when I attempt to jb? I tried downgrading with tb but had many problems even with the blobs saved.

Make sure you are yang the latest redsn0w. Version 0.9.10b6.

After install jailbreak and reboot click the back button, then click "Extras".

Don't click anything in redsn0w after clicking "Extras".

Just shut down device, enter DFU mode, once you here the computer beep confirming your phone is in DFU, hen click the "Just boot" button.

It is much better to enter DFU mode first instead of following the button press timers.

Do the same thing when you go to jailbreak also.

Click the jailbreak button, then shut down phone, enter DFU. Once our phone is in DFU the jailbreak will start automatically without the need to click "next".

But why don't you see of you have SHSH for 5.0.1?

You might. If you do then you can use your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs to restore to 5.0.1.

If it says 5.0.1 beside "SHSH:" in the top of Cydia's home page then you can restore to 5.0.1.

Then just download Tiny Umbrella version 5.10.10 ONLY!

Do NOT use the new Tiny Umbrella version 5.10.12 and up.

Use version 5.10.10 of Tiny Unbrella. I don't think the BBTicket SHSH blobs work well with Sn0wbreeze and iFaith IPSW's.

Any way, open TU, click "Save SHSH" then if 5.0.1 shows in the list then you an infant restore to 5.0.1.

Now download the 5.0.1 IPSW. Save to your desktop.

Now Download Sn0wbreeze.

Open it, select your 5.0.1 IPSW, click next them make sure to click "iFaith Mode".

Then select your 5.0.1 SHSH.

Click "Build IPSW" then click the blue next
button

When it is done being built it will save to your desktop.

You must run iREB before retiring to amy custom IPSW.

Then shift+restore button in iTunes and pint to the Sn0wbreeze IPSW.

Once restored your device will already be jailbroken.

On a side note, you didn't "have to" restore and update to 5.0.1 in the first place.

You could have dumped your 5.0.1 blobs with iFaith and build a signed IPSW.

That is the whole point of iFaith. To dump SHSH blobs that are currently on the device even if Apple is not signing it.

Hi Zig,

I show 5.0.1 on the home page of cydia, yet when I save to tiny umbrella I see only the following, not sure how to proceed.

• iPhone4CDMA 4.2.10 (8E600)
  • iPhone4CDMA 4.2.8 (8E401)
  • iPhone4CDMA 4.2.9 (8E501)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.0 (9A334)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.0b1 (9A5220p)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.0b2 (9A5248d)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.0b3 (9A5259f)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.0b4 (9A5274d)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.0b5 (9A5288d)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.0b6 (9A5302b)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.0b7 (9A5313e)
  • iPhone4CDMA 5.1 (9B176)

jschlis said:
Hi Zig,

I show 5.0.1 on the home page of cydia, yet when I save to tiny umbrella I see only the following, not sure how to proceed.

[*]iPhone4CDMA 4.2.10 (8E600)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 4.2.8 (8E401)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 4.2.9 (8E501)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.0 (9A334)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.0b1 (9A5220p)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.0b2 (9A5248d)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.0b3 (9A5259f)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.0b4 (9A5274d)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.0b5 (9A5288d)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.0b6 (9A5302b)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.0b7 (9A5313e)
[*]iPhone4CDMA 5.1 (9B176)

Okay.

In Tiny Umbrella, click on the "Advanced" tab, and in the white box there is the path to the SHSH downloaded by Tiny Umbrella.

Unplug device, click "Advanced" then make sure "Request SHSH from Cydia" is checked.

Now plug in device and click "Save SHSH" button again.

If you still do not see 5.0.1, then go to the path where TU stores your SHSH, and see of it is in there. Let me know how that goes.

Zig,

Wow. Thanks. Hit a stumbling block or two but have downgraded to 5.0.1 with cydia installed. Question is this an untehered jb? Thank you very much!!!!

jschlis said:
Zig,

Wow. Thanks. Hit a stumbling block or two but have downgraded to 5.0.1 with cydia installed. Question is this an untehered jb? Thank you very much!!!!

Yup. Untethered.

jschlis said:
Zig,

Yup. That is an untethered jailbreak.