What's new

boot - freeze - reboot (repeat)

ChuckyZ28

Reaction score
I am running a jail-broken iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1/ GSM

I attempted to update several of my app store apps about 45 min ago and now my phone is stuck in this viscous cycle. It will freeze, reboot, be frozen on reboot, then reboot again all with absolutely no input from myself, is this some kind of anti jailbreak tom foolery put out by apple or is this a problem I can actually fix.

I would like to reiterate although the phone appears to boot fine it is not usable because it will be frozen upon booting. It at this point to me seems like I will have to do a restore and loose my jailbreak, or at least have to go tethered.

(Added - 5:50am)
I don't know if it is important but the apps that needed updating were: Shazam, Zombie Highway, C.H.A.O.S, and StupidZombie

(Issue is now resolved)

Last edited:
Hold your home and lock buttons together until the Apple logo appears... this is a Hard Reset. It should clear up whatever loop your iDevice is currently in.

I have done that, and the phone did restart/reboot/reset, unfortunately I am still having the problem with very slow/frozen. To be honest frozen may have been the improper terminology, it appears that there is so much ram being used that its impossible for the phone to function. After it booted it showed the lock screen, however the slide to unlock text was not animated, and when I moved the slider across the screen it did unlock, however it took approximately 1-2 minutes for any of my apps to show up. I attempted to open the folder that the apps are in to get the status on them and received no output from the phone before it automatically rebooted again. It is a possibility it was a "re-spring" as apposed to a reboot, this was the first time I observed the device completely from boot to reboot.

(Added 6:10am)
After observing the phone directly for the last 10 min and 3 of these cycles, it does appear to be "re-springing" itself as apposed to a full on reboot, I don't know if there is a difference but I am trying to be a through as possible.

Last edited:
This could be a compatibility issue. If you have the latest mobile substrate installed do a hard reboot and as soon as the phone comes on hold the volume up button. Continue holding until you see the lock screen appear. This will disable alk mobile substrate addons and should allow you to trouble shoot the problems you are having

This could be a compatibility issue. If you have the latest mobile substrate installed do a hard reboot and as soon as the phone comes on hold the volume up button. Continue holding until you see the lock screen appear. This will disable alk mobile substrate addons and should allow you to trouble shoot the problems you are having
nathan... is that effectively putting your iDevice into mobile substrate's Safe Mode?

Yes. This should put it in safe mode. Should end the op's respring loop issues and allow him to trouble shoot

I booted the device into safe mode and both of the troublesome apps downloaded and installed correctly, I booted into the device regularly again and now have no issues, but I would like to know if this compatibility issue means that these apps can not be run on my device. I had thought about deleting them when I was in safe mode but decided to wait until I heard back from someone here.

just a thought but was any of the apps that had been updated been running in the background when the update took place, closing all apps from background running before updating might be the way forward.

If the phone has restarted in normal mode with no hickups then they should be fine. if it crashes again you now know how to get back in to safe mode.

Thank you all for you help, the issue is resolved and both applications are working fine.

I am having this same problem. I updated isounds and downloaded switchy and then on the respring it just froze. It freezes on each boot. I got it into safe mode and deleted both the apps, but it still won't boot normally. It just keeps freezing. I have an iphone 4s on 5.0.1. Any help would be appreciated.