What's new

Can't play WMV file in iphone4?

wuming79

Reaction score
I tried to play a wmv file using VLC player but there is no image, only voice. How do I make it display the video?
I'm using winxp with i-funbox. I put the file in the user application->VLC->documents folder.

Last edited:
actually, do I need to convert the file to mp4 first?

actually, do I need to convert the file to mp4 first?

Try it, but why don't you send the video file to the vlc using iTune? I can play wmv file on my iphone using vlc, never had to covert it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, somehow my wmv file is not shown on itunes. And i-funbox is faster.

Hi, VLC shows warning that "Your iphone is probably too slow to play this movie correctly".

What phone is that? Iphone4 or... Plus the iTune doesn't have to recognize your wmv file, you can just drag and drop your wmv file into vlc by pointing to application then scroll down to see sharing application on your iTune after connected your iphone to your conputer. In the sharinf applications, locate the vlc, double clic on it and drag and drop the wmv file in the right panel in there.

What phone is that? Iphone4 or... Plus the iTune doesn't have to recognize your wmv file, you can just drag and drop your wmv file into vlc by pointing to application then scroll down to see sharing application on your iTune after connected your iphone to your conputer. In the sharinf applications, locate the vlc, double clic on it and drag and drop the wmv file in the right panel in there.

Oh I didn't know i could do that. Yah, it's an iphone4. I managed to drop it into VLC but still I got the message "Your iphone is probably too slow to play this movie correctly".

Now I tried to convert it using handbrake and handbrake says there is no title found. Not sure what else I could do...

you shouldn't have to convert to MP4 because thats the whole point of VLC to play formats other then MP4, mp4 obviously play in the native video player in the ipod app so if you went through the trouble of converting everything you would need VLC player

I do not understand why it will say that it's too slow to play the movie. Is the movie playing well on your computer? If yes then the wmv file should work just fine in the vlc. Is your phone a jailbreaked one? If yes you may try to reset it or maybe try to free at least 2gb on your phone memory to see what happen when you try to play the file.

And in case you convert it into mp4 you can just sync it woth itune to your phone, that should play it from the ipod on your phone as well.

I can't convert the video via handbrake because of the issue of "No title found". This file needs to install g2m codec in order to play. Is there codec for iphone4?

When you mention to release up to 2GB phone memory, do u mean the internal storage? I thought iphone4 only comes with 512MB of RAM.

I can't convert the video via handbrake because of the issue of "No title found". This file needs to install g2m codec in order to play. Is there codec for iphone4?

When you mention to release up to 2GB phone memory, do u mean the internal storage? I thought iphone4 only comes with 512MB of RAM.

No i'm not talking about the RAM i'm talking about the hard disk as i have issues like that with my iphone when the hard disk is below 1gb, it freez while openin certain apps, but i don't know if this happen with all iPhone 4 you were talking about low memory, so i though that your hard disk may be full, if that's not your case with a full hard disk, then just pass it. I know a few free video convertors, once i arrive at home i will share their names with you, you maybe want to try them out and see how they go with your file. Also try to transfer another wmv file to the phone instead of the one you are willing to put into the phone at the moment and see if it's that originaly wmv which is corrupt.

Other wmv files are ok. Just this file. Even on desktop, this file will need gm codec. I think it might really be codec issue, like flash will never work on iphones.