What's new

Can't downgrade my iPhone 5

Hans Nicholas

Reaction score
I want to downgrade my iPhone 5 from iOS 8.1.3 to iOS 7.1.2. I downloaded the IPSW file and tried to restore it. But iTunes shows me an error saying "The iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occured (3194)". Then I search the error message on the internet. I've tried to add "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" to the hosts file and it kept telling me the error message. Then I tried to restore through Recovery Mode as well the DFU mode too. And I still can't downgrade my iPhone.

What should I do to downgrade my iPhone ?

I want to downgrade my iPhone 5 from iOS 8.1.3 to iOS 7.1.2. I downloaded the IPSW file and tried to restore it. But iTunes shows me an error saying "The iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occured (3194)". Then I search the error message on the internet. I've tried to add "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" to the hosts file and it kept telling me the error message. Then I tried to restore through Recovery Mode as well the DFU mode too. And I still can't downgrade my iPhone.

What should I do to downgrade my iPhone ?
I'm afraid that your iPhone can't be downgraded. The only iOS version you can download to your iPhone is the latest; iOS 8.1.3. Apple doesn't allow downgrading the iOS version on iOS devices. That's why you keep getting the 3194 error message.

At the moment it's still possible to revert to iOS 8.1.2. You can not downgrade to 7.1.2, though.

The signing window for iOS 8.1.2 could close any time now. Previous signing windows have closed in as little as 24 hours or less. If you want to hold on to the possibility of a future jailbreak, don't wait as iOS 8.1.3 patches the TaiG jailbreak.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that your iPhone can't be downgraded. The only iOS version you can download to your iPhone is the latest; iOS 8.1.3. Apple doesn't allow downgrading the iOS version on iOS devices. That's why you keep getting the 3194 error message.
Oh okay. Thanks!

The signing window for iOS 8.1.2 could close any time now. Previous signing windows have closed in as little as 24 hours or less. If you want to hold on to the possibility of a future jailbreak, don't wait as iOS 8.1.3 patches the TaiG jailbreak.
Oh, thanks for the answer! I'll just keep using iOS 8.1.3 then.

I guess you can only downgrade in old end devices from 3Gs to iPhone 4, in onward devices there is no downgrade option.

I guess you can only downgrade in old end devices from 3Gs to iPhone 4, in onward devices there is no downgrade option.
There is a brief window, when a new iOS version is introduced, when both the old and new iOS versions can be downloaded and it's possible to downgrade. Once Apple stops signing the old iOS version, it's no longer possible to downgrade.

Last edited: