What's new

Can't call from contacts

Nathanrb4

Reaction score
Hi,
Have just upgraded from a 3gs to a new iphone 4 and i have a problem.
when i try and call someone from my contacts (both inside the "phone" menu and "contacts" menu on my home screen) it lets me select the number inside the contact and then takes me straight to a new email to that number rather than making a phone call. when i exit the email it then takes me back to my mailbox. How do i make it just call the number like my old 3gs did?

Cheers
Nathan

I don't understand,
1-you go to contacts app,
2-there you have your saved contacts,
3-you tap on a contact name to call,
4-it should then open that contact info,
5-there you will be able to see the phone number of your contact,
6-tap on the phone number and it will automatically start calling your contact.

Nathan, let us know if bab2010's suggestion works for you. It should. I'm curious.......

In step 6 of bab2010's comment when I select the phone number it takes me straight to the new email screen. Doesnt matter which contact always to the new email.

In step 6 of bab2010's comment when I select the phone number it takes me straight to the new email screen. Doesnt matter which contact always to the new email.

Perform a hard reset, if that doesn't cure the issue, the factory reset the iPhone.

nup tried both and its still doing it. just end up with a new email with the number i wanna call in the "to" field.

is that the same thing as restoring it in itunes? yes i tried that and still the same :(

is that the same thing as restoring it in itunes? yes i tried that and still the same :(

Really? So you can never make a call? Do you have any apple store near by? Pay a visit to them if you can.

This thread sounds like it covers a problem I've got too in the UK. On my Iphone 4 (acquired about 6 weeks ago) I've put all my contact details in and when I tap on a "home number" I get directed to a text message screen - the only way I get a number to work "properly" is to attach it to the 'mobile' field.
There is nothing documented by Apple as far as I can make out on any special configuration issues I've missed - or have I??

Hi, I just fixed this problem on my wife's 4S. I went to edit the contact that she was getting email to instead of a phone call and discovered that the number was shown as an email contact. I deleted it and added a home phone number to the contact list. It now dials the number. Might try that with your phone. :)