What's new

Automating phone call actions?

ardchoille

Reaction score
I recently purchased an iPhone 6 on a new line, so I have a new number. I have telemarketers calling me, so I immediately block the phone number - I'm deaf and cannot use a phone so it's useless for them to call. My friends and family know I am deaf and they use either email or SMS when contacting me.

What I would like to do when people call my number is to have my iPhone automatically hang up, block the number and remove the notification so I am not bothered with any of it. Is there a way to do this? If I find a way to do this, would it also block SMS messages?

Any thoughts?

If a number is blocked on your phone, all communication from that number is blocked, including SMS messages as well as FaceTime and iMessages from that number.
Understanding call and message blocking on iPhone iPad and iPod touch - Apple Support

I don't know if blocking a number can be done automatically.

Hmm.. the information you provided tells me that I probably don't want to be blocking anything automatically. Suppose a friend accidentally calls my number.. they'd be blocked without my knowing it and I wouldn't get anything from them until I realized my mistake. Thank you for that, much appreciated. I think I am going to experiment with the Do Not Disturb settings and see if that will help.

I'm glad I could get you started in the right direction. Let us know if you find something that works for you, it may be useful to others in similar circumstances.

It appears that the Do Not Disturb silences phone calls as well as SMS/MMS messages. I don't want to silence SMS/MMS, so I will have to keep looking for a solution. Either that, or I need to stop being lazy and accept that I need to manually block the phone number of each phone call. It's too bad that this cannot be somehow automated.

The only thing is that an automated system can't know if the person calling you is someone that you really don't want to block.

One thing to remember is that the calls and messages from a blocked number are not actually blocked. It just disables the sound notifications and alerts in the same way Do Not Disturb works. So you don't see or hear it. And the calls go to Voicemail when you don't answer. But you never know it. The caller is not given a message other than Voicemail. They will still hear your Voicemail message. If I got a new phone with a new number and was getting a lot of telemarketing spam, I would call my carrier and demand a new number. You should not get a lot of those on a new number. If it's just a few, you can block them with your carrier. Verizon allows 5 blocks at a time for free. But yeah, there's no way to Selectively block only certain numbers automatically. But the more you block manually, the less you will get.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

I've had my cell phone number for over 17 years and I've never gotten a telemarketer call! Really! Not once! I wonder how they hooked up with your number? That seems suspicious. I would talk this over with your carrier!! I'm not saying it doesn't happen, of course, but why would you be getting that many that you have to consider blocking calls?

Some good points made here.. I will indeed be talking with my carrier. Thank you folks.

New phone number means this number is not yet on the Do Not Call registry. While not perfect, it does cut down on some of these calls.

OK, who is the wiseguy?!!! I jinxed myself...got my first telemarketer call today. Did one of you sign me up for a free Bahama cruise?! :rolleyes::p

It's like the jury notice curse. Every friend who has ever mentioned never getting one...well, you can guess what happens. My latest spam call came from an area code where I do have family. But i have voicemail for a reason.

OK, who is the wiseguy?!!! I jinxed myself...got my first telemarketer call today. Did one of you sign me up for a free Bahama cruise?! :rolleyes::p

Free Bahama cruise?! I'll take it if you don't want it! :p

New phone number means this number is not yet on the Do Not Call registry. While not perfect, it does cut down on some of these calls.

No offense, but that list is almost useless, the Dish Network was just caught with 57 million violations. The Federal Government doesn't even take action until after a specific number of complaints.. and then it's just a slap on the wrist.

It appears that the Do Not Disturb silences phone calls as well as SMS/MMS messages. I don't want to silence SMS/MMS, so I will have to keep looking for a solution. Either that, or I need to stop being lazy and accept that I need to manually block the phone number of each phone call. It's too bad that this cannot be somehow automated.
Another option is when you put in do not disturb mode , is allow your favorites contacts go trough. You can put your relatives or anyone you would like to talk to to favorite list and when you set up do not disturb, mark to allow calls from favorites. Only thing is that SMS MMS won't go trough , only phone calls.

Sent from my [emoji336][emoji642][emoji809]using Tapatalk