What's new

Contacts not using assigned tones with new iPhone 6Plus and original iPhone 5

Puzzled

Reaction score
Just got the 6Plus and purchased two new tones tonight. They have been downloaded on my new 6Plus and my husband's 5. Both have latest iOS.

We tested by calling each other. Tones have been assigned. Mine is using the default tone when it rings his phone, not the tone assigned to me in the contact list. When he calls me, all I get is vibration, no sound. We use one iTunes account.

Nobody else has called, so I don't know if their tones work. When I check the contacts mine shows "default" for ringtone, not the selected tone. The default is not even what plays when I call. I do see my selected contact ringtone when I touch "done" after assigning it to my contact name. I have an iTunes purchased ringtone for the default setting in sounds for the ring tone and that isn't even being used. It seems to be one of the sounds, most likely the initial settings default.

I hear nothing and only get vibration when he calls me. I noticed when my daughter texted me from the airport, I only got vibration, not her assigned text tone, although im her contact info it shows th selected text tone.

The iPhone 5 that my husband is using was my phone. We had his number from his old phone assigned to my old iPhone 5 after I got my iPhone 6 plus.

Does anyone know what I may have done wrong? I don't know if I will only get vibration on my phone if anyone else calls as I have not received any other calls. I downloaded the tones to the phones from the computer. They do show up in the SETTINGS, SOUNDS on both phones.

Check Settings>Sounds and make sure vibrate on ringer is turned on. Now go into Contacts. By that I mean the Contact icon, not what is in Settings. Go into your husband's name and make sure the ringtone you want is checked. Now have him call you and see if that fixed it. sometimes things needed to be toggled off and on, sometimes you need to restart your phone to have it take effect.

Maybe your iPhone is muted. Take a look at your side switch, next to the Volume buttons. If it is, you'll see the coloured part that's usually hidden below the button when it plays sound. Toggle the switch to the other side.

Thanke for your reply. I havw checked the settings a number of times. The sound clearly has the vibrate on ringing turned off and the "Someone's Calling" iTunes Ringtune as default. In concts, each contacr that has a ringrone abd textone set has the proper ringtone and texttone selected.

Thanls

Maybe your iPhone is muted. Take a look at your side switch, next to the Volume buttons. If it is, you'll see the coloured part that's usually hidden below the button when it plays sound. Toggle the switch to the other side.

The side button had the color showing so I flipped it up. I have to wait for my husband is available to call to see if his ringtone works.

This does not explain why when I call him that my ringtone set for when I call him that is set on the phone he is using is not using the selected ringtone. I will check his mute button. Wonder why mine was tirned on. I did not do it. This was all after connecting our phones to iTunes on the computer that things got messy.

Thanks. Will update or ask for more suggestes as needed.

The mute button goes on easily enough that we have accidentally flipped it on.

We have everything adjusted now and all is well. First, my mute button was accidentally flipped down. Must have hit it because I did getnsound before we were doing the ringtones.

I had two instances of my husband's name in my contacts. A carry over from transferring manually from an Android when I got my the Apple 5 and adding to that list with better info. Since I had two entries and did not change the ringtone for the one that was actually first, when he called the phone picked up with the first instance of the phone and that was set to default and since the mute was on, it was also just vibrate. When the must was off, I got the default song. I noticed at the top it said my husband's name and 1 other, so it dawned on me that he was on again and I figured the phone would pick up the first entry first and looked in the letter that was the first letter of his first name, there it was! I deleted it and all is well.

This will add to this reply, but It might help someone else with tone issues.

When I initially got a data phone, I was (and still am) very protective of people's info. If their email addresses that I entered do not have their names, I will not use their full name in my contacts info. I use first name or nickname and last initial. If the name or nickname is unique, I just use that without a last name initial because I know who it is. If their email address has their full name, it is not necessary because their email shows the name anyway, so I just use their name.

This is why I had issues with my husband's ringtone. Our email addresses did not have our names. We still use those email addresses but also have Google ones in case we switch internet providers (they are providing the email addresses we started out with) and Google asks for your name. Since my husband's name is in his email address, I entered his new info that had work number, Google email addy etc. and just used his whole name in the contact list. It moved his name to a new location due to the first letter of his last name. Never thought to remove the other simple entry with just his nickname. That is what caused the issue. That entry was first up and had no ringtone assigned to the number.

The issue with my name was similar, but a bit different. I wanted a first entry in my contact list to be an "If Found" entry. I know there are skeptics who believe the worst and if someone finds your phone they will keep it; but I think the majority will contact you if they know who to contact. So, I needed an entry that was not my name and would never be moved to the bottom. I read this tip many phones ago (before assigning ringtones) and have had this entry ever since. I used a Symbol (i.e. $, &, etc) as the first couple letters and then " A A A", and then in all caps, "IF FOUND". For this contact info (including notes section) I had my first name, email address, phone numbers and options in notes for the best way to contact me since I did not have that phone. I am not sure exactly how I had it, but it was something like that.

It had my cell phone number in the listing as a possible number to call and my husband's cell phone number, and our land line. Since that one did not interfere with my husband's tone after I deleted his entry with his nickname, I think this was inserted before he got a new number years ago and I never changed it in this lost and found entry. My phone number was correct, and that was messing my ringtone up. The exact contact list was on the iPhone 5 he inherited from me when I got the 6 Plus. That entry would not let the ringtone assigned to me work when I called. It used a default ringtone. I deleted that lost and found entry from both phones and both ringtones are now working. I am going to insert another lost and found entry but put the phone numbers into the notes and not have them in the phone number section.

So, check for duplicate entries in your contacts if you are having ringtone issues. It will use the tone assigned to the first entry of that number.

I'm glad you found the solution.
Thank you for posting it. You're right: It could help another member with a similar issue.

Last edited:
Glad you figured it out. I wanted to add some info about your lost phone info. It is advisable to have the app Find my IPhone active at all times as well as using either a passcode or Touch ID to wake your iPhone. The means no one can see your contacts should you lose your phone. There are two things offhand you can do.you can "write your # with the phrase if found contact______. Google that for best way to do that. The second thing is from the the lock screen you can display a medical ID.
  • Set up your medical ID. In the Health app, tap Medical ID in the bottom right of the screen.

• View your ID. When you wake iPhone, slide to the passcode screen, then tap Emergency.

HTH

Good points. Using my contacts as a way is pre-lock screen, pre-smart phone, etc and really did not think about it being an out-of-date method. I do have the find the iPhone and iPads on all the time.

Yep, I have two thumbs and an index finger I use to unlock rhe screen and the backup numbers. Since it is locked, my contact info would not be seen, in normal circumstances.

I do not use that health app. I think I will start a new thread, as we are now off-topic. Maybe they will move your suggestions to my new thread asking people what they do to allow an honest person who finds their phones (or pads) contact them.

Thanks.

The reason I suggested using emergency info is that the access is to Medical ID info only. On mine I have my name, allergies, blood type, and phone numbers of who to contact. And that's it. Nothing else is available to anyone else. And as I have said, it is also not hard to put your contact info on your lock screen wallpaper with a number and phrase, like, if found please call#. It's been discussed here several times so just do a search to see the previous conversations.