What's new

Caller can hear me, I can't hear them Plus many more problems!

Ilyeo

Reaction score
Almost from the onset of purchasing my first iPhone 6 in October 2014 I have suffered with the same problems. Since then the phone has been replaced with two refurbed phones and now a brand new boxed one from the Apple Store. Basically, fairly frequently I either make a call or receive a call and the caller/person I've called can hear me but I cannot hear them. I simply say "sorry I can't hear you, I know you can hear me please call me back". Most times on the second call I can then hear them but sometimes it may take three or four attempts. I also suffer with calls going straight to answer phone without ringing or the caller being told that I'm on the phone (when I'm not). Many of my calls disconnect/drop out. I can also be in the middle of a conversation and then the sound goes completely. Sometimes during a call the sound distorts and only intermittent words can be heard. Also, my charger cable which is definitely an Apple lead frequently doesn't charge very quickly or gives a message that says something like "this device may not work properly with this device.

When the Apple Store replaced the second handset with a brand new boxed phone, I replaced the SIM card with a brand new replacement and I set up the handset manually not using the ICloud back up just to avoid any software issues being duplicated. I did not upload any Apps initially just my contacts. Within two days the new handset began displaying all the above faults that had been displayed on the other two phones. Other faults include texts not being received by people that I have sent them too, me not receiving texts or answer phone messages not arriving either at all or days/weeks later.

I am currently with the Three network who have looked into the various problems from their end too. They checked the Porting settings from the original change over from the o2 network to their network, all appears ok. Both myself and Three are totally at a loss as to know where the problems lie. To try and help me they have waived the remaining year's contract to enable me to move to a different network however I have a horrible feeling this is to do with Apple glitches/software problems - especially after speaking to my friend today who is experiencing similar problems on the Vodaphone network. I have checked all the usual things like The Do Not Disturb setting etc.

Can anyone help me? I am an avid Apple user, I have an imac, iPad and have used iPhones since the iPhone 3 but I am seriously considering looking at different make phones as I cannot rely on my iPhone at all. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, Ilyeo!

You've already tried most of the troubleshooting fixes I can think of.

Two more things to try:
During a phone call, switch to speaker mode. If you still can't hear the caller, then there's a problem with your carrier, and not your device.

And here's advice from Apple:
Check the receiver
Follow these steps to see if the issue is with your receiver or your network:

1. Open the Voice Memos app and record a short audio clip.
  2. Tap
    iphone6-ios9-voice-memo-speaker-icon.png
    in the upper-right corner of your screen to switch playback between the speaker and receiver.
  3. Tap
    voice-memos-play-icon.png
    to play the voice memo through the receiver on your device.
  4. If you hear the voice memo and it sounds normal (without distortion, crackling, or static), there might be an issue with your carrier network or voicemail system.

Last edited:
Welcome to iPhone Forums, Ilyeo!

You've already tried most of the troubleshooting fixes I can think of.

Two more things to try:
During a phone call, switch to speaker mode. If you still can't hear the caller, then there's a problem with your carrier, and not your device.

And here's advice from Apple:
Check the receiver
Follow these steps to see if the issue is with your receiver or your network:

1. Open the Voice Memos app and record a short audio clip.
  2. Tap
    iphone6-ios9-voice-memo-speaker-icon.png
    in the upper-right corner of your screen to switch playback between the speaker and receiver.
  3. Tap
    voice-memos-play-icon.png
    to play the voice memo through the receiver on your device.
  4. If you hear the voice memo and it sounds normal (without distortion, crackling, or static), there might be an issue with your carrier network or voicemail system.
Many thanks for your help. I ran the test that Apple suggested twice. The first time round there was a bit of crackling/static noise, however the second time it was perfect.

I will have to wait until I cannot hear the person I've called/or the person that's called me to test your suggestion of putting the phone into speaker mode. I'm sure it won't be long before this happens!

Incidentally, I read a thread from the past yesterday where someone suggested going into Settings then General and switching off the Auto-Lock onto Never. So I am testing this too to see if this "cures" the problem of not being able to hear the caller/person I've called. However, it really is a pain with the screen staying on the whole time and having to remember to lock the handset each time I use it.

I will post my findings as soon as things occur. In the meantime, if anyone else is experiencing these problems or had similar I would like to hear of any fixes etc. Once again thanks for your help/suggestions.

Logic says the fault is with the wireless carrier. Every iPhone your get eventually exhibits the same identical call problem. In addition, the wireless company's willingness to let you out of the contract.
I'd jump ship.