What's new

Bought a used iPhone 3G. Plugged it into my computer. wiped out. How to activate?

Alec

Reaction score
I'm an expat living in China for the time being. I bought a used iPhone 3G 16g. When I plugged in into my computer to synch with itunes,calendars etc... it wiped everything back to nothing. A window on my computer screen told me that I did not have a SIM card in the phone. But I did. It also told me that I needed to activate the phone. There is not AT&T or other service providers that you have to sign up for here. I brought the phone back to the store that I bought it from and he got it working again but they say I shouldn't plug it into my computer. I need to synch to my computer to communicate with it. What should I do? Rediculous as it may sound. This is my first smart phone. So not savy to of what the deal is. Please let me know if you have any answers. Thanx, Alec

hi Alec.

with the iphone 3G it is pwned for life but really you can plug it into itunes as long as you dont restore or upgrade firmware if it is not already on 4.2.1, that is what caused it to lock up again because you restored the device. you can plug into itunes and load your files and backup your device and you would use redsn0w if you accidentally restore it again but its hard to do by accident and now you know not to hit the restore button.

Also next time if you buy another iphone try to get it factory unlocked or at least locked to a carrier you will actually use (if possible) it will mean much less hassle for you. justa bit of advise.

Thank you very much for the advice so far. I am weary to plug the phone into my computer because I don't recall pressing a "restore" button the first time. I did download itunes to it's newest upgrade on the computer. Now that I think about it, I might have done that while the phone was plugged in because I was promted to upgrade. Now that my computer itunes is 5.something, won't it automatically restore and upgrade my phone just by plugging it in and cause the some problem?

there is your answer.. you where prompted to upgrade and by doing so re locking the device.. next time always press no for upgrades.. though with itunes it should be ok to have any version

Ok, so you're telling me I shouldn't have to worry about what happens automatically just by plugging in to my computer? I'm just worried that their might be some kind of autoupdate that would happen just by plugging in. Now that my itunes is the newest (upgrade 5point something), will this be a problem? a bit gunshy now as you can see.

if you are worried then don't plug it in :) but itunes never updates your firmware automatically.. you have to agree to it and press restore. even though there will never be a newer firmware then 4.2.1 on the iphone 3G so the only way to really do that is for you to press restore in itunes and even then it asks you a few times if you are sure and to accept agreements, so I dont know how you did it with out realising it and by accident last time.

Plugged it in and things are moving along. I saw that dangerous "restore button" and stayed far away. Hahaha ! I appreciate your help. So what's the deal when I go back to the States? I can sign up now with any carrier? Att, Verizon etc...?

See, as long as you stay away from that restore button you will be fine :)

you cant use verizon on a GSM phone, you would have to buy the verizon version of the iphone for that, and then by doing so you would not be able to use GSM carriers, so you have to decide, Verizon or GSM.. but yes you would be able to use any GSM network in America that supports the iphone, though in the states they sell the devices unlocked now. Might be worth looking into getting the 4S unlocked if you like the iphone