What's new

Battery not charging fully

book

Reaction score
Hey guys! I've had my 4S now for about 5 weeks and I do love it, but I feel like I'm still learning my way around. I've been the Android ecosystem for the past couple years and had the Samsung Galaxy S previous to buying my iPhone. It was rooted but only to get rid of bloat-ware; I didn't flash ROMs or anything that requires skill. I'm not a super-geek and while I've considered Jail-breaking, currently my phone is Stock. Anyway, on to the issue: When I first got my iPhone the battery would be at 100% in the morning when I would unplug it. But these past 2-3 weeks every morning, it says 99%. I do a hard reset and then it reads 100%; also when I go to check my Usage, all I have are dashes where there should be numbers next to Usage and Standby. It says Usage times will be shown after iPhone is fully charged. I don't have a ton of apps on it, Location Services are only turned on for 3 or 4 of those apps and I'm not a heavy user. I'm not really sure what info you need from me, but any input would be appreciated! I was thinking about going to the Apple Store to see if they could help me out, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

The dashes are from doing a hard reset after its been plugged in. That's completely normal. You could do a restore and see if that helps. But honestly you need to condition the battery. Charge it all the way up. Let it drain without plugging it in until it hits 5%. Then charge it all the way up to 100 and try not to use it at all. Let it sit on the charger for and hour or two after it hits 100%. Then drain it back down again without charging until it hits 5% again. Charge it up to 100% and leave it on the charger for an hour or two and try not to use it while it's on the charger. Now you should be good. I don't know the specifics, but it's something like how iOS predetermines where the battery life is without actually checking it all the time. This in turn provides betters battery life.

Sent from my cellular device

Thanks, Chris! I did drain the battery once by using it until it turned off and then charged it to 100% without using it. I didn't realize I should have done it again. Hopefully, draining it again will do the trick and I won't need to restore. Thanks again. :)

Don't let it drain all the way. Just to 5 or 4. But yeah do it twice and it'll be good. If not then do a restore followed by doing the battery thing twice again. No problem!

Sent from my cellular device

Oh, ok. Gotcha. Thanks!