What's new

Battery life with GPS on?

NewDaddy

Reaction score
How is the battery life of iPhone with the GPS constantly on?

My current WM phone (HTC Touch Pro 2) lasts about 3 hours with the GPS on even after a full charge. I do a lot of hiking and biking, and would like to double my smart phone as a GPS logger, instead of carrying a separate GPS device. I was wondering if iPhone's battery can withstand such extended use of GPS, which creates a enormous battery drain on WM phones.

Last edited:
Probably about the same as the HTC. But remember, GPS doesn't "send" out or transmit a signal, it just receives one and does calculations. Those calculations and, more importantly, using cellular data to keep track of your mapped locations, is what will draw battery power. Bottom line: the iPhone 4 is pretty good with battery usage as long as applications not being used are shut down. Probably like the HTC, maybe a bit better in my experience.

I don't have any specific numbers, but we geocache with the iPhone 4 and I know that it really puts the drain on the battery. When we're driving between caches I put the phone on the car charger to help. If I'm just using the GPS to navigate in the car I always have it on the car charger. My guess would be that 3 hours or so on GPS would probably be about all you could expect.

DaveM said:
I don't have any specific numbers, but we geocache with the iPhone 4 and I know that it really puts the drain on the battery. When we're driving between caches I put the phone on the car charger to help. If I'm just using the GPS to navigate in the car I always have it on the car charger. My guess would be that 3 hours or so on GPS would probably be about all you could expect.

That sounds about right. I use Battery doctor pro and its gives me precise usage of what I can do on a single charge

Attachments

• $image-1326604937.jpg
    $image-1326604937.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,136
I actually bought my iPhone 4 primarily to use as a backup GPS device on my boats. The phone was an added benefit. There are a number of good marine GPS apps I use frequently, and my experience has been 3 to 3.5 hours battery life in continous use.

Iphone4 is not a navigator.why not buy a navigator?it's not so expensive---compared to Iphone4,and leave Iphone4 as it is.it will greatly increase the battery life.

I actually bought my iPhone 4 primarily to use as a backup GPS device on my boats. The phone was an added benefit. There are a number of good marine GPS apps I use frequently, and my experience has been 3 to 3.5 hours battery life in continous use.

I've been running longer distances and have had my Iphone running Mapmyrun/ride. It has gotten me through almost 6 hours of tracking. At the end of the run the phone was at 19%. However, I turn EVERYTHING else off that i can, or disable it. I have everything else turned down to minimal settings. "every little bit helps"... I am doing a 100 mile race in two weeks which i know the phone alone wont last 30 hours but I have an external power supply to carry with me for extra juice that can be replaced every aid station. I'm just looking to maximize the time/power and am wondering if anyone does actually have the mAH that the phone uses with different settings/apps running.