What's new

Apple to Ditch Glass Backing for iPhone 5 and Will Also Redesign the Antenna

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone_5_aluminium_back.JPG

According to a report on MacRumors today, Apple is planning to ditch the glass backing currently to be found on the iPhone 4, and replace it with aluminium, just like used to be on the very first iPhone and is currently on the iPod touch. The information comes from a Chinese source, which says Apple wants to move away from the glass backing because of the problems with scratches, difficulties with getting the colour right for the white iPhone, and the heaviness of the glass, as opposed to aluminium.

It’s also no surprise to learn from the same report that Apple is looking to redesign the antenna, replacing the iPhone 4’s external design, which has been the cause of so many problems regarding signal strength, and “death grip gate”! No word yet as to where or how the new antenna will be sited. Finally the report also states that the iPhone 5 will have the new Apple A5 processor, the same as the iPad, and that it will be announced in June/July, as is usual with iPhones.

Source: iPhone 5 to Get Aluminum Backing, Redesigned Antenna? - Mac Rumors

Apple wants to move away from the glass backing because of the problems with scratches

LMFAO - "problems with scratches"?

The glass back seems to be MUCH harder to scratch. Those aluminum backs get scratched up just by looking at them.

I have a funny feeling that somehow, it all boils down to cost. Apple probably figured out that they could save a few cents by using aluminum rather than glass. I do remember reading something about them wanting to reduce the overall cost of the device.

If Apple really plans on doing this, I wish they would offer an "iPhone Pro" line; where the "Pro" device would be built from higher quality materials (sort of like the difference between the polycarbonate Macbook and the unibody Macbook Pro)

I also wouldn't mind an iPhone built like the unibody Macbooks. Sure, it would still be aluminum - but not the polished scratch-prone aluminum used for iPhone backs. I think it would look quite sharp, and be nice and lightweight.