What's new

Apple Starts Selling Unlocked GSM iPhone 4s Online

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
unlocked_iPhone_4.JPG

Well it looks like Chronic Wire’s Twitter announcement yesterday that Apple would start selling unlocked GSM iPhone 4s in the US was almost spot on, although his prediction was one day later, as AppleInsider reports that Apple updated its online store today and is now selling unlocked iPhone 4s, starting at $649 for the 16GB and $749 for the 32 GB versions. Both black and white versions are available to order. Although the phones are not available for international shipping, they will work on GSM networks throughout the world. On the product description page, Apple states that the unlocked phone requires an active micro-SIM card from a supported GSM wireless carrier. In the US, this means either AT&T or T-Mobile, although as AppleInsider notes, T-Mobile’s data transmission is via the slower EDGE protocol, due to T-Mobile’s 3G network being incompatible with the iPhone. Apparently unlocked iPhones have also been arriving in Apple Retail Stores for the same price as online.

Source: AppleInsider | Apple now selling unlocked GSM iPhone 4 in US, starting at $649

so even though its unlocked you still can only use it with att and t mobile only? no other carriers?

Man i just spent $750 for an international iphone 4 16gb. Now iphone 4s is avaiable. So when is it available to be purchased in the US?

Wait, i just read the article and they say its iphone 4, not iphone 4S.

Last edited:
Man i just spent $750 for an international iphone 4 16gb. Now iphone 4s is avaiable. So when is it available to be purchased in the US?

Wait, i just read the article and they say its iphone 4, not iphone 4S.

there is no new iphone, not until the fall any way is an expected new iphone

so even though its unlocked you still can only use it with att and t mobile only? no other carriers?

I hope not. That would just be silly. I think you need to use a supported sim to activate it then you can put any other sim you want in after that...?

i guess att and t-mobile are the only ones that will support the iphone? maybe the only two GSM carriers in the us and thats why? i thought they had more GSM ones

Cincinnati Bell uses GSM.
Have Unlocked Iphone 4 and use Cincinnati bell
fmirzamd